Givi E26 Top box with brake light!

Items to make your scooter look better or haul more
Activator

Givi E26 Top box with brake light!

Post by Activator » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Hey all. I just wanted to relay my experience with finding a good top box for the SH. I like the Honda box, but I felt that it was a little bigger than I needed, and pretty expensive as well. So I looked around, and found this:

http://www.compacc.com/p/Givi-Monolock- ... es/1602004

I got the one with an integrated brake light, which was a deal-sealer for me!! Great to have that extra visibility, especially since the SH's brake light is sort of tucked under the rear rack. The whole bill was $127 WITH a Givi E227 SH150i adaptor plate.

The box fits a full face helmet on it's side with no problem. I just returned from a quick food shopping trip, and fit 3 semi-full plastic shopping bags of groceries in the box. I figure if I stow some stuff under the seat and hang a bag between my legs, I can almost do a full food shopping trip for the week! I could even bungie a case of beer on the pillion seat. Perfect!

Installation was easy. The Givi adaptor uses ONLY the center bolt of the factory rack. The plate extends back and under the rear of the rack and, when you mount the plastic Givi mounting plate onto it, it pulls the adaptor up, sandwiching it to the factory rack and making a nice snug fit. This adaptor isn't necessary... you can use the "universal" mounting hardware to attach the Givi plate, but the adaptor makes it easier and cleaner.

Wiring the integrated brake light in was a bit more work. Taking the tail piece off the SH is "a bit fiddly", as the Brits say. The frame fits so tightly under the body panels that sliding it back and off is a millimeter-by-millimeter affair. Take your time and "work it" backward slowly! I've wired many auxiliary brake lights onto my motorcycles, so I was pretty familiar with how to do it, but I still ran into some difficulties. Luckily I had also just received my SH150i official shop manual, so I was able to figure it all out.

The problem: Nearly every vehicle I've ever done any wiring on had either brown or black wiring as the "ground", or neutral. The brake light on the SH150i has three wires going to it. Brown, green and green with a yellow. From the wiring schematic, I deduced that the solid green was power, and the brown was ground/neutral. Not so! It turns out that the solid green is ground/neutral, and the green/yellow is power! Arghh...

So after re-wiring a 2nd time, everything works. Tap the brakes, and the light on the Givi box lights as well. Great!

My ONLY other incident: on my 1st ride with the box attached, it fell off the Givi mounting plate. When you snap the box on, it turns out it "seems" to snap on and feels secure, but it's not! There's a 2nd "CLICK" that you need to achieve when attaching the box to the rack, which takes a good bit of pressure. My box fell off, and was hanging by the brake light wire for about a mile before I realized what had happened! Now I know. :shock:

Anyway, except for the little installation issues, the box is great. Perfect size for a full face helmet, not TOO big-looking on the SH, and the brake light gives me some extra confidence when coming to a stop.

After I bought the Givi box, I found THIS box, which looks REALLY nice. Though I'm not sure I need "remote control" locking, or an alarm... but it's a really nice looking box, available in gloss black, has an integrated brake AND running light, and is just a little bigger than the Givi E26. (And is a little bit more expensive, but still 1/2 of the Honda box.)

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4012/

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

robber57
Admin

Re: Givi E26 Top box with brake light!

Post by robber57 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:57 pm

That coocase is a wicked piece of kid!
I like the integrated alarm but unfortunately has one little drawback; it will go on for one hour making noise when activated! :roll:
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

Activator

Post by Activator » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:32 pm

robber57 wrote:That coocase is a wicked piece of kid!
I like the integrated alarm but unfortunately has one little drawback; it will go on for one hour making noise when activated! :roll:
Yeah... plus, even though they say it won't drain the battery, I wouldn't want to test it out, especially since the SH has no kick starter! You can install it without the direct battery connection for the alarm/remote, and just wire in the running lights and brake light.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Tue May 17, 2011 9:28 am

Thanks for the tip. I installed this box w/light, without extra mounting hardware(drilled a couple holes and slightly lengthened bolts) and am extremely pleased with its size and function. Benefiting by your experience I got the wiring right the first time and ran the quick-disconnect wire through the forward edge of the seat release hole(where it stores nicely and allows easy truck removal with the push of a button). Perfect size. Just transported a bunch of tomato starter plants for the garden! Great value.....
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

aztrooper

Post by aztrooper » Thu May 19, 2011 4:26 pm

Just ordered mine through them also plus the 313A windscreen. Got both the windscreen and E26 box with brake light with free shipping for $238. Only had the one windscreen left. Should get it in the first part of next week. I'm excited. Bob in Arizona

aztrooper

Post by aztrooper » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:50 am

Got my top box and windscreen installed. See my install pics. No problem except one I created.

Bob