Accessories Announced for SH 150i

Items to make your scooter look better or haul more
Cavallo

Re: Accessories Announced for SH 150i

Post by Cavallo » Wed May 19, 2010 7:45 am

No - this is exactly the sort of ranting I need. :D

It's prompting me to either save my money, or look into getting a stock windscreen from Honda. I have to believe they designed the aerodynamics of the stock windscreen to work with the bike.

kmathers

Post by kmathers » Wed May 19, 2010 8:32 am

Being an engineer by trade I say with experience there is hardly ever just one cause to any problem! I want to be sure I am not knocking the Honda SH150i or GIVI winshield. Both are excellent products for the right use. Example, I felt the 16" wheels on the 150 were great on those rough city streets and potholes we all have in the notheast. City driving around here is closer to an offroad experience. The 150 has great turning and handling in the city and can pull out into any traffic situation with no worry. I will miss that nimble , turn on a dime handling with the bigger Aprilia. 500 Yet, I felt that on open road higher speeds the higher center of gravity started to have a bad effect on handling,,,then I put on a big windshield that yet just makes it worse. I was getting scarred at 60++ mph . I drove a Vespa 250 with little 12" wheels , no windshield, and I was shocked how comfortable it was at 65 . Yet ,perhaps not as good as the honda 150 in town. Quite the opposite of what you may expect.

I would just say really check out that Honda windshield before you buy it. What testing has really been done on it and what speeds they recommend it for. If you can get any answeres , that would be interesting.

Cavallo

Post by Cavallo » Wed May 19, 2010 9:06 am

Well, as I've said, I've had no problem with this thing at 60 - once I got a better helmet, and learned to relax and stop fighting the wind. I haven't been bold enough to attempt a four-lane highway yet, but then I've been riding for less than a month. I think it would be a little too ambitious regardless of the bike.

I'm scouring the web for all the info I can on the stock windscreen, but there is predictably little. Seems like the best place for that info should be here. ;)

I think I'll call my dealer.

kmathers

Post by kmathers » Wed May 19, 2010 11:12 am

I have to say .. one good thing for my big GIVI , I could leave work on a cold Nov day with it pouring rain. Ride 15 miles accross town and get home completely warm and dry . Putting on no rain gear! I was very happy then to have it!!! I all comes down to what you want it for.

Cavallo

Post by Cavallo » Wed May 19, 2010 11:27 am

Yeah, I honestly think something "on the too-small side" with less chance of catching wind and less of a detriment to fuel economy would suit me. Just a little less kick in the chest is all I'd really need. I've already ridden it to work on 30-ish degree central New York mornings, so I've learned how to bundle up.

I called the dealer, and he can get me one for $300, which is WAY expensive, I know. My choices now are to spend $300 or do without. I think I'm off the idea of the GIVI.

I think I'll wait a week for my next paycheck, and then decide.

kmathers

Post by kmathers » Wed May 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Well, maybe see what Pappy has to say when he gets his installed. PM the other guy on this forum that has a GIVI and see what he says about his handling? Don't go by just one persons experience , like me! Have someone give you an actual measurement on the GIVI so you know if your grip locks would still fit. It would not be good pay that much extra for the Honda based on an assumption Honda has done any testing on their shield and that it works any better than the GIVI one. I would lean more toward the GIVI one and then cut it down like I was going to do. There is a Harley parked every day just down my street which has a windshield shaped just like the GIVI but it is cut much lower. It looks very cool and sporty . That how the idea came to my mind. Good luck with whatever you do.

Cavallo

Post by Cavallo » Wed May 19, 2010 12:38 pm

I hear you both, and thanks. That's why I'm gonna sleep on it for a week at least.

Oddly enough, I'm not terrifically interested in the hand protection. Although, while I was noodling around websites in Europe, I noticed that Honda makes hand protection to go with the windscreen - called "knuckle visors." In fact, this page has a whole bunch of stuff we're apparently unable to get;

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-sh150i_model17248/

I think those heated handgrips would be better than the knuckle visors, but that's just me.