Accessories Announced for SH 150i

Items to make your scooter look better or haul more
DewaltDakota

Re: Accessories Announced for SH 150i

Post by DewaltDakota » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:33 pm

I ordered my Givi windshield from CompAcc back in December, and it took three months for it to arrive. From the time of ordering, they kept saying it was backordered through Givi, and it should be in within two weeks.
Barbara Jo (BJ)
2008 Burgman 400 (red) & 2009 Burgman 400 (grey)

DewaltDakota

Post by DewaltDakota » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:17 pm

They (CompAcc) has no problem with cancelling an order, if you don't want to wait. I just couldn't find anyone local to me, that was willing to even try to bring the windshield in (since it wasn't officially listed as being available in the USA)... so I was at their mercy.
Barbara Jo (BJ)
2008 Burgman 400 (red) & 2009 Burgman 400 (grey)

Cavallo

Post by Cavallo » Tue May 18, 2010 7:44 am

So, Pappy - pardon me if you already posted about it somewhere and I missed it, but have you gotten your windscreen yet? I have a couple questions before I commit the funds.

Cavallo

Post by Cavallo » Tue May 18, 2010 11:51 am

So, I'd probably better order one now, then. Question is, being 6'1", do I get the short one or the tall one? I'm inclined to get the short one...

Cavallo

Post by Cavallo » Tue May 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Hmm. Then on second thought, I'll wait till yours arrives. :D

kmathers

Post by kmathers » Tue May 18, 2010 2:34 pm

I had the short one on my sh150 that I traded in. I am 6' 0" . I felt even the short one was to tall and If I kept the 150 I was going to cut down shorter. So I think you will find the small one is plenty big enough.

Cavallo

Post by Cavallo » Tue May 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Thanks. That tips the scales. One more question - do the flanges on the sides completely cover the handgrips? I have a grip-lock, and would like to continue using it.

kmathers

Post by kmathers » Tue May 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Cavallo wrote:Thanks. That tips the scales. One more question - do the flanges on the sides completely cover the handgrips? I have a grip-lock, and would like to continue using it.
I think the flanges (or side farings) which provide the wind protection for the hands are far out in front of the grips . So , my quess is you will have loads of room to still use the grip locks.

A couple other points , I think the big windshield would be far out of porportion to the size of that scooter and would look wierd. The short one is rather large. I also was feeling that into headwinds the windshield was slowing the bike down and that's why I was going to cut it down. I estimated that the wind stream was about 4 inches flowing over my helmet top. Cross wind gusts were causing more side to side push. There's no real win win to be had. Handling suffered but riding comfort was much better. especially on those cold days.Those side farings were a huge help for those cold riding days!!!

These are all my judgements , everyone has their own prefernces about these things.

Cavallo

Post by Cavallo » Tue May 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Hmm. Handling suffered. I was kinda hoping handling would improve at high speed. Perhaps there's a reason why Honda's design is the way it is.

Apart from the discomfort of being chest-buffeted, I find myself easily able to cruise at 60 with no trouble, even into some pretty random wind. I'd hate to spend $150 only to make that worse.

Sigh. I guess all this adds up to me still waiting to see what Pappy has to say.

Cavallo

Post by Cavallo » Tue May 18, 2010 6:20 pm

Incidentally, I was doing some reading earlier, and found the following;

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html

It's a wealth of information on windscreens. Here's an excerpt that may be highly relevant;
"Nearly all of our windshields have vents. These vents are part of the aerodynamic design of the shield, to reduce turbulence and noise. They are not there to make a flow of air on the rider. When you're riding on the highway, any windshield is pushing air away from the rider. This leaves a low- pressure pocket between the windshield and the rider. The air flowing past the motorcycle wants to drop into this low pressure area. If the outside air is allowed to spill into the area between the windshield and the rider, the result is turbulence, noise, and drafts. When outside air spills into the rider area, it almost always falls in a curved path, causing spinning vortices of air. These vortices are noisy and can cause the battering and hammering on your helmet reported by some riders. Our windshields and vents are designed to funnel air into the rider region to relieve this low pressure area and greatly reduce the tendency of outside air to spill in. The vents are designed so that the air coming through them is quickly dispersed, leaving almost no detectable air flow at the rider. Our goal is to produce almost completely still air on the rider with no back pressure."
The way I read this, you want a gap between the bike and the windscreen, like the one seen in photos of the stock windscreen.

Also, I had read somewhere else about the possibility that a windscreen could improve the overall aerodynamics of the rider/bike and actually allow it to go faster. Is this bollocks?

And, Pappy - I fully respect your decision viz. helmets. However, my decision is to wear a flip-up full-face at all times. (I went with Nolan.) Best of both worlds, as far as I'm concerned. I very likely haven't survived half of what you have, and would like to keep it that way! Or at least keep my lower jaw. Anyway, going to FF from a 3/4 was a revelation. The effect of wind was (subjectively) cut by 50%, easily. I went from freaking out at 50mph to cruising at 60 without even realizing it. I'm gonna be a modular full-facer for life.