Stereo -(issues?)

Items to make your scooter look better or haul more
ericman37

Stereo -(issues?)

Post by ericman37 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:31 am

So I just installed my new 100W shark stereo system and i was listening to it while reassembling the scoot and seem to have drained the battery. My concern though is that i may have blown a fuse or something because though the battery is weak, after a good rest it will still turn the engine over, but it wont start. Can there be enough juice in the battery to turn it over while not being enough to spark it?

If it helps I wired the stereo power through a relay that is tapped into the rear taillight for switching.
Any advice is appreciated, and I'll get pic's up as soon as i know it's a good install (and not frying my fuses or something!)

bigbird
Staff

Re: Stereo -(issues?)

Post by bigbird » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:03 pm

The rear tail light has two sets of wires feeding it. One for the running light (on when the ignition is on) and one for the brake filament (on only when the brakes are activated). Which did you wire to? Do you know the difference? Why did you tap off the lights anyways? What's the draw of the stereo? I would say it will overload the lighting circuit. Why not go direct to the battery and install a dedicated separately fused circuit with an SPST toggle switch switch for just the stereo in the storage box under the seat?
2009 Silverwing 600, black SH150i sold
Winnipeg Canada

ericman37

Post by ericman37 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Umm i tapped into the black brown wire i think? maybe br/bl i cant remember now but it was the one that gave 12V when i turned on the ignition. But thats just to switch the relay (160mA i think) and the stereo side of the relay does go directly into the battery, I just wanted to use a relay ties to the ignition cause im pretty absent minded sometimes and I know I'd leave the stereo on and drain the battery by accident if i used a toggle.
Oh and as for how I tapped in, I didnt know the wire size when i bought supplies to i didnt get an actual tap in i just cut away some insulation and soldered in my connection and covered it with heat shrink. I wouldn't recommend it though since theres hardly any wire length to work with (i was doing this in my apartment parking lot and it was getting dark so i had to get it done). it sounds great though!

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Your logic sounds fine. I would think if the battery had enough amps to crank the starter, then their would also be enough amps to run the ignition and fuel injection. Maybe pull the main negative off the battery, wire the battery negative in series with the amps setting on your multimeter, and see if you have any current drain with everything turned off.
Winnipeg Canada

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:35 pm

I just checked my service manual wiring diagram. The black/brown wire is for the brake light filament, the green/yellow wire is for the tail light running light. There should be 0V on the black/brown unless the brake light is activated. You sure you didn't tap into the green/yellow?

By the way, I've got lots of SH150i maintenance parts and service manual for sale as I sold my SH.
Interested?
Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=361

I'll sell it all cheap.
Terry
Winnipeg Canada

ericman37

Post by ericman37 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:47 am

I'm pretty sure i Used the black and brown wire, i checked my diagram and it looks right, besides all my electrical works properly (brakes come on with power and get brighter when i apply brake, and the stereo comes on with power regardless of weather i apply brakes) I took out my spark plug and checked for a spark, and it had one, not bright blue like ive read it shoudl be but its sparking. My next plan is so disconnect the trigger side of the relay and see if the thing will run. If it does I'd assume that there is not enough power on that line to power all teh circuits and the 160mA relay. if it doesnt start, then i gotta take teh body apart and check for loose connections i suppose, i'll keep you posted.

BTW is that list of maintenance supplies still accurate?

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:12 pm

ericman37 wrote: BTW is that list of maintenance supplies still accurate?
Yes it's accurate. I haven't sold anything yet. I don't want to part it out. It's a package deal.
Winnipeg Canada

ericman37

Post by ericman37 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:30 am

So the stereo Install was a success (somewhat, more in a minute) I had all the wires right and my relay was good, but i had knocked a relay loose under the rear covers. I took off the rear tail light assembly and saw the loose relay, i plugged it in and the thing started right up and ran like a champ.
now my only problem is that the speaker wires arent shielded and I get interference from the engine (alternator?) I assume because i ran my speaker wires right along with all the wires that were already running through the front body work. it doesnt interefere with the music too much but im definately gonna have to work on a rewire scheme.
I love this bike :)

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:13 pm

You might want to look art putting a resistor type of spark plug in. RFI usually comes from the high secondary voltage of the ignition system.
Winnipeg Canada

ericman37

Post by ericman37 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:22 pm

Hey I charged my battery and the interference went away, i checked and the standard spark plus is already a resistor so it must have had something to do with the dead battery. The stereo sounds great though, i can hear it loud and clear at 55mph with my full face on and prob around half volume. (sorry but i shrunk the pics like 5 times so this is as small as they're gettin)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.