Honda Windshield?

Items to make your scooter look better or haul more
TommyXP
Staff

Re: Honda Windshield?

Post by TommyXP » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:49 pm

Good video. It helped me do mine. Most important thing IMO is be certain that the skill saw blade doesn't have a "kerf". Meaning when you look at it edge ways the teeth are all in line and not staggered right and left, sticking out. Otherwise it will overheat and melt the plastic and create a mess......Take your time determining where you want your line of sight to be. I have mine so I see about 20-25 ft. over the shield in front of the bike (mainly for night, ~where headlight begins to illumine.). Opinions vary and much info on the web........You can do it right on the bike and I think it is the best all around modification one can do for oneself.....You can do it when off the bike but take your time setting it up first so you can determine your best line-of-site. I took ~2" off the stock Honda. I also used a cordless skill saw which, without the cord, offers supreme control and accuracy.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Arbiter

Post by Arbiter » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Honda vs Givi windshield
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Arbiter

Post by Arbiter » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:17 pm

Givi 313A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bikeguy

Post by bikeguy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:28 pm

I've only had the Honda windshield for a few days, maybe ridden 4 hours with it so far. My first impression is that the coverage/protection is great. I no longer feel like I'm being pushed off the scoot at 45MPH+. It has definitely moved the air stream to the top of helmet level which make for less wind noise and buffeting from the front. However I do now get a back draft type flow that pushes forward on the back of my helmet. Nothing to complain about, but it's there. I also noticed that my top end speed, especially up hill has slightly decreased. The scooter is also more susceptible to cross winds and takes a bit more muscle to control the sail effect the windshield sometimes creates. I've been doing some research about motorcycle windshields/visors and have found that, generally, the right size/shape shield can provide better aerodynamics then a bike without. I think the Honda shield provides comfort at performance's expense. Hopefully a reduction in it's height will improve aerodynamics and still give enough coverage for a best of both worlds situation. To the guys who have cut their windshield down, anyone still get the back draft effect?
Two Brothers exhaust & Juice Box Pro
Battery Tender/underseat 12V port
UNI Pod filter
Buzzetti side stand
Givi E450 top case & E21 side case
Euro Signals

ScottWally

Post by ScottWally » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:56 pm

I have a Givi and love it. Looks like the Isotta's we saw on all the SH's in Italy and since I ride in cold weather the hand protection is great. Not to mention it's about $100 cheaper than the OEM Honda shield. But it's all about personal preference and the Honda shield definitely looks more sleek and modern IMO.

ambientscape

Post by ambientscape » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:22 pm

I have a very stupid question and hope you guys bear with me. What's the function of this windshield anyway? Protecting the wind from blowing direct to the face? or some bird s**t flying to the face? :mrgreen:

How does this thing affects the aerodynamics of the bike in high speed? We do not have this thing in our country.....so pls enlighten me.

blowpipe

Post by blowpipe » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:43 pm

I've got the Honda screen featured on the left of Arbiter's two photos.

It's superb; to date, not too much in the way of rain to test it, but the protection from the cold wind and the ability to ride with a raised visor is excellent. No significant handling issues at speeds up to 40 - 45 mph. I've just fitted some Tucano Urbano muffs to complement the rather limited protection afforded by the handlebar shields.

Will post updates through the winter. My only observation is that the steeply-raked screen doesn't dispel water in the same way that the touring screen on my VFR does (but this bike is ridden much faster). Not a major issue at the moment, though.

Baysidebob

Post by Baysidebob » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:01 pm

I cut 2 1/8 inches off mine so I look over it but the wind and rain go over my head. It did knock off about 2 mph from my top speed.
Honda SH150i
Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec.
My actuary says I'm dead.

ctscoot

Post by ctscoot » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:41 am

TommyXP wrote:I have the Honda windshield and after trimming a couple inches off the top to greatly improve night and rain visibility, am very satisfied......But lately, after having to cobble together some cold weather wind protection for my hands (after-market hand guards and Alligator duct tape!), I am wondering if the Givi wouldn't have been a better choice (affords hand protection too!) for cold weather riding. Something to consider.
I have a Honda windshield also. I had to shorten it about 4-5 inches for better visibility in inclement weather. I use a pair of Tucano Urbano neoprene handlebar muffs to cut the wind. I use a thin pair of leather gloves with silk liners under the muffs. I cannot believe how well they work. I was afraid I would have trouble operating the turn signal and horn, but it is easy. I've even gotten proficient at operating the high beam/low beam without having to take my hand out of the muff. The only problem is the expense. Because there are no distributors in the U.S., I had to order mine from an outfit in England and spent almost as much on shipping as the cost of the muffs.

ctscoot

Post by ctscoot » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:48 am

ambientscape wrote:I have a very stupid question and hope you guys bear with me. What's the function of this windshield anyway? Protecting the wind from blowing direct to the face? or some bird s**t flying to the face? :mrgreen:

How does this thing affects the aerodynamics of the bike in high speed? We do not have this thing in our country.....so pls enlighten me.
WARMTH! The wind blockage lets you ride much deeper into the season without freezing. It seems honda should offer a lower windshield, though, as most of us seem to be shortening ours for better visibility. The angle of the screen just doesn't disperse the rain.