Honda topcase straps broken-easy and sturdy fix

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
robber57
Admin

Honda topcase straps broken-easy and sturdy fix

Post by robber57 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:55 pm

I have the original topcase, it has two plastic straps to hold the lid when it is open, its a nice detail but i already asked myself several times "when will these break?"

Well last week the first one did and of course the other one broke a few days later.

For the fix you need:
Some throttle cable , preferably stainless steel.
4 wire end terminals to give the throttle cable some "body"
4 AMP ring terminals.

Sorry for the crappy photos, my own camera is broken :cry:

The cable is 1.2 millimeter, the blue AMP ring connectors have a 6.3 mm hole( 1/4") which i made a little bit bigger with a round metal file to 6.5 mm and now fits perfectly around the old strap connector.
The wire end terminal is to give the throttle cable some more diameter so it will hold in the ring terminal, without them you can pull the throttle cable quite easily out of the ring terminal.
image001.jpg
image002.jpg

Cut from the old strap the connector part off, you will have to use it to connect the new strap to the box/lid.
To put the blue ring terminal over the connector tou have to remove the small screw completely and fiddle patiently with the help of some pliers.
image003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by robber57 on Mon May 23, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

robber57
Admin

Re: Honda topcase straps broken-easy and sturdy fix

Post by robber57 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:56 pm

image004.jpg
image005.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.