Crankcase breather tube

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
tpi

Crankcase breather tube

Post by tpi » Tue May 24, 2011 4:32 pm

This is the clear tube which has a plug on the bottom of it. There is a maintenance schedule to pull the plug and drain the tube.

I've had several motorcycles and without exception, this tube would accumulate condensed blowby. Quite a bit of oily/watery froth would drain from the tube when plug was pulled.

On the SH, the tube is still completely dry after 2,000 miles. I'm impressed considering how much full throttle the engine sees. My other motorcycles were much more powerful and saw a lot less full throttle than the SH150.

Maybe its just the way the breather system is designed, and the blowby doesn't wind up in the tube.

robber57
Admin

Re: Crankcase breather tube

Post by robber57 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:33 am

At mine it also stayed clear for a few 1000 km's , now i have to drain it every 2000 or so.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

tpi

Re: Crankcase breather tube

Post by tpi » Wed May 25, 2011 9:43 am

I'll watch for it. Maybe it takes a bit of time to fill up some crevices before it goes in the tube.

I'm impressed with this engine. Some of the roads move at about 55 mph and there are long inclines which put the engine at full throttle for several miles at a time. I pull into the garage and the fan is running, the temp gauge is half scale or a bit more, and a drop of water on the side of the engine will boil off with a nice sizzle (on a warm or hot day). The engine always sounds great and is very smooth at 55 mph. Its a little worker.