Tech info on the SH

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
waspmike

Re: Tech info on the SH

Post by waspmike » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:37 pm

Whilst it is true that the viscosity of SAE90 is similar to SAE 40/50 etc. Gear oil and engine oil are not the same.

:?: If one was to change the final drive oil every time one changed the engine oil then maybe engine oil would be better than nothing.

The final drive uses spur gears not hypoid like a rear wheel drive car's differential so doesn't really need EP rated oil. But I think it would hard to find a non-hypoid gear oil. Ie. Non EP (Extreme Pressure)

The owners manual I have does not even mention the final drive oil type or quality. I am lucky as Honda here has the correct oil in the correct sized one shot container.

Maybe the easiest answer is? Gear oil usually comes in a container with a small spout, engine oil comes with a wider mouth container.

As it only has to be changed every two years, it only becomes a concern after that. Use any gear oil one wishes. As has been said the transmission has spur gears.

Depending where one lives and where the nearest supplier is buy the cheapest container not the cheapest oil. Don't forget outboard marine shops also have it in small containers or the outboard section in an auto parts store.

Edit found this. Here http://www.motorbikespecs.net/index.dyn ... make=Honda

Front Fork Oil cc (right leg) : 106
Front Fork Oil cc (left leg) : 106
Fork oil grade : SAE 10
Valve Clearance Cold - Inlet : 0.14 - 0.18 mm
Valve Clearance Cold - Exhaust : 0.23 - 0.27 mm
Cooling System (litres) : 1.15
Tyre Pressure Front Bar / psi : 24
Tyre Pressure Back Bar / psi : 24
Tyre Pressure Front - Pillion Bar / psi : 32
Tyre Pressure Back - Pillion Bar / psi : 29
Final Drive grade : SAE 10W/30
Final Drive quantity : 190CC
Engine Oil Grade SAE : 10W/30
Engine Oil Classification API : SG
Engine Oil quantity with filter (litres) : 0.9
Spark Plugs Gap (mm) : 0.8 - 0.9 MM

I would still use gear specific oil though. Unless one wishes to change every time along with the engine oil. As I said lots of scooters here with whining transmissions.

waspmike

Post by waspmike » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:18 pm

:idea: Walked to Honda, spent $1.50 and bought some "Final Gear Oil". P/N 08268-M99K0ZT1

But I am none the wiser as it doesn't say what it is. :lol:

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:06 am

Nice try. Nothing left to do but taste it.
I change the SAE 90w gear-lube ~every other oil change; as it is easy, cheap and also because it is 'organic' and subject to constant deterioration just setting there.
After draining and as per the Service Manual: installing a 'new' washer upon the drain plug ;), I precisely measure the re-fill capacity by inserting the 'nipple' of the 90w into the 'fill' hole (whilst rocking the back wheel back and forth) until oil starts to seep out and cap it.......
The 'gears' never whine to me; they Sing......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Tom75

Post by Tom75 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:55 pm

I have a 2010 sh-150 wit 3500 miles. When I try to start it, there is a clicking noise in the front right. I can also feel a click in the little rubber box down under the battery cover. I charged the battery with a battery tender. The volts test ok, lights are all bright and work, horn is loud. I bought a new battery because the one I have is 4 years old even though it tested ok. Still does the same thing with the new battery! Anyone else have an idea/solution to this? Thanks in advance.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:08 am

Tom, you should try posting this under a new topic. I had a hard time 'seeing' and finding it under this old posting.......
Your problem sounds like a simple one and besides checking connections and being certain you have an AGM type battery, I don't know what to say yet......
Stick with it....again, it sounds simple......
Post under a new topic and get more responses.......Tom
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.