Tech info on the SH

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
TommyXP
Staff

Re: Tech info on the SH

Post by TommyXP » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:38 am

Rotella T6 in 2 Sh's since birth. Full synthetic and not expensive, as I still change it often (~1500 miles), mainly so I don't feel guilty about riding so many trouble-free miles for nothing......
I found Rotella T6 interesting because its 5-W40........Only 5 when cold; then 10W warm......Great for cold starts (when most engine wear occurs) and the 40W is great for running HOT.....
I was leery initially because it doesn't carry the MB rating and IS a diesel oil on top of that. But homework and many other forums proved the point.....
Don't know if its a cause but with 14,000 miles on one, I just did 94mpg and 97 mpg on my last two fill-ups!
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

ivanp

Post by ivanp » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:54 am

Hi,

Does anyone know the size of the steam bearings?
I intend to lube that side and to replace the ball bearings with cylinder bearings.
PS - after 2 weeks of research i have found a JASO MB oil (and full synthetic) - Ipone Katana Scoot 5W40
I am a Motul fan but unfortunately they don't have a jaso MB on our market.

Thank you,
Paul

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:20 am

No idea. Can you go-online and try to buy a replacement and gather some info there?

ivanp

Post by ivanp » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi Tommy,

I was trying that before to post but i never found an online seller who mentioned the dimension of bearings - i think for a good reason.
Looking deeper on http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts ... oter/parts for steering stem configuration on the upper bearing - the inner race is "integrated" with the adjuster nut and because of this is impossible to replace the oem bearing with tapered roller bearing - at least the upper one. I guess not a smart idea from our japo honda friend - but what to do?

All the best,
Paul

gigglefeet

Post by gigglefeet » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:11 pm

is this oil good enough?

http://www.amazon.de/Scooter-4T-10W40-M ... ds=jaso+mb

I'm about to change the oil (coming up to the 4000km mark and wanted to do the service my self for the first time, and I don't want to screw things up.

it does have an MB rating but not jaso mb is that ok?

Sorry for being clueless

kind regards

Robert
2015 SH150
Honda original Topbox

waspmike

Post by waspmike » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:23 pm

Robert,

Hi. MB is a motorcycle oil that has friction modifiers.

MA is the "special" one as it doesn't have friction modifiers so it can be used with a wet clutch. The SH does not have a wet clutch. Also in a motorcycle the gears use the same oil as the engine. Again not in the SH.

The SH is also water cooled so does not need an oil designed for hotter running air cooled engines.

The oil you have in mind is OK.

Don't forget the transmission oil.

gigglefeet

Post by gigglefeet » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:41 am

Thanks a lot waspmike,

I just watched a video on youtube where someone is also changing the gear oil and I think he said that you can use the oil you use for the motor for the gear oil change as well.

Is that ok? or should I use for example :

this one:
http://www.amazon.de/Castrol-22495600-R ... P4M+10W-30

Thanx again and I really do appreciate all the help, you guys on here are all amazing!

p.s. can anyone recommend what tools are essentials for use on the sh150? or can I use what came with it for the normal motor oil and gear oil change?
2015 SH150
Honda original Topbox

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:18 am

I use Hypoid gear oil, SAE #90 (NO SYNTHETICS!) when changing the gear oil. It is very inexpensive and the first 'recommended' oil in the Service Manual in the specifications.
The second recommended oil is Pro Honda GN4 4-stroke oil and I have always found it confusing that they would list a SAE #90 first and then a SAE 10W-30 as if it didn't make any difference and the idea of a possible 'mis-print' haunts my mind.
I will take a moment and copy the exact specification from the Factory Service Manual and you can make your own decision, though I recommend the SAE #90 based upon the 'gears' we are dealing with.....All the oil listings below, AFTER SAE #90 are exactly the specification listed for Engine Oil in the manual (?!)......

Specifications:
Hypoid gear oil, SAE #90 or
Honda 4-stroke GN4 4-stroke oil (U.S.A. & Canada), or
Honda 4-stroke oil (Canada only), or
an equivalent motorcycle oil
API service classification: SG or higher (except oils labeled as
energy conserving on the circular API service label)
Viscosity: SAE 10W-30
JASO T 903 standard: MA

I'd recommend getting a simple set of sockets and combination wrenches first as you begin to 'build' your tool-box, and leave the included tool set under the seat for 'emergencies'. As you progress along in doing more and more things for yourself you will begin to 'see' what you need to do the 'job' properly.
Always use the Best tool for the job, even though many lesser-tools 'might' do the same job and you will save yourself a lot of future grief by using the recommended tool.
Best to buy Quality and take good care of them and they will last a life-time or more. Believe me.

waspmike

Post by waspmike » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:50 pm

Looking again at your OP it does not look as if your bike is very old.

"Final drive oil" only needs to be replaced every 2 years"

I only mentioned it because many auto scooters here have whinny transmissions. Maybe because they do not use Hypoid gear oil, SAE #90.

What tommy says. Your Motul MB for the engine and SAE 90 you can get at any motor supply store or truck stop or benzine station or.. it doesn't need to be special!

southerncannuck

Post by southerncannuck » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:37 am

I believe that gear oil and motor oils are rated differently. A 90w gear oil has about the same viscosity as a 40w motor oil, hence the choice of using either in our scoots.