Brake misery :-(

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
robber57
Admin

Brake misery :-(

Post by robber57 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:39 pm

Some two months ago at 10.000 km odo reading i estimated i had about another 7 to 10.000 km left on my brake pads judging from the thickness, yesterday i drove home and heard a grinding noise coming from the front....

But i was prepared for that, i already ordered new pads some months ago so this evening i went to work to replace them.
What could have been a 15 minute job ended in a 3-4 hour session of misery.

First a picture of the situation:
16 - KTG4F-1200 Front brake caliper.jpg

You have take of the caliper by 2 bolts (14) , remove the lock-screws (12) and finally remove the 2 retainer bolts(13).
The bolts are 6mm plain steel rod with at the end an allen key head, the thread is on the allen-head and is 10mm -extra fine pitch(pitch=1.00 mm)
The 6 mm rod goes in the caliper in a tight fit 6 mm hole.
So that is a galvanized rod with tight fit in a aluminium hole: the recipe for corrosion misery.

I got one bolt out with no problem, the other was was stuck, heating it up,hammering,penetrating oil- it all didnt help, the allen recess became round.
So finally i drilled out the allen key bolt with a 6.5 mm (1/4 inch) drill for aprox 12 mm so head and rod became separated, then hammered out the rod and finally with a special screw-extractor removed the remaining allen head.

Of course i dont have a spare bolt so i made one just to get home out of a long 6 mm allen bolt+locknut

So to all owners with the 2 piston Nissin caliper; dont wait with removing these bolts until you have to replace the pads, do it next sunday.
Remove the two bolts, lubricate them with copper-grease and put them back.
In general this goes for all bolts which are threaded in aluminium parts; if you dont get them out while the bike is still new and lubricate them you will regret it later on...

I do all these "little" jobs at the company workshop i work where i have an outstanding equipped workshop, i know from experience that most motorcycle shops dont even have 10% the tools of what i have at my disposal.
If what i had to do had been done at a motorcycle workshop it would have cost me probably some 3-4 hours labor or a just simply a new caliper because they probably dont have the tools i used...

Another disappointment: i found quite severe corrosion pitting on the caliper pistons, this means i will have to replace these soon. :(
I really dont understand why it is that difficult to make a harmonica rubber which seals the complete piston off so no water/salt/dirt can accumulate on the piston, just like on car brake calipers...

The piston are now completely inwards so they wont leak but once the pads start wearing the pistons will come out and at some point the rust-pits will come across the seal and will start leaking brake fluid.

On screw extractor:
DONT use these:
extractor.jpg
These are cheap,brittle and wrongly designed, the pitch is much to narrow so while screwing these in you will expand the broken stud, it will become even more stuck and you will break the extractor because they are usually made of cheap, very hard but also very brittle steel.
They WILL break and then you have the nice job off getting the broken and hard as glass extractor end out of your already broken bolt, believe me-i know from experience; these are crap.

These are already much better and if you can get them of a well know tool brand there is not much risk in using them, these will not break :
extractor beter.jpg
The "thread" is not so fine so you wont expand the broken stud so much and you will have a good chance succeeding.

next post more...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

robber57
Admin

Re: Brake misery :-(

Post by robber57 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:29 pm

These are type i always use and have never let me down:
ridgid_Extractor_Set.jpg
spline extractor.jpg
Its a spline extractor, you use the accompanied drill and drill-guide to make the hole, hammer the extractor in, place the hexagon over the spline and screw your broken stud out.
they will not break but bend and they will not expand the stud to much, they are made by Ridgid, Snapon,Stahlwill,Gedore,Hazet and a whole bunch of other tool brands, i suspect they all come from the same factory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

claudiubec

Post by claudiubec » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:18 pm

i had the exact same problem and guess what the exact same solution :))) tomorrow i'll add some pics

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks for the heads up!

spdlmt

Post by spdlmt » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:30 pm

wow, you've given good reasons to try out those malossi break pads. Thanks bud!

cathyliebchen

Post by cathyliebchen » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:11 am

pulled the caliper pins this morning- clean as a whistle! No corrosion on the pins or caliper, but we never ride in the rain and no road salt here. Used some grey antisieze and replaced them. Pads, with 2600 miles ion them, looked healthy

313Matt

Post by 313Matt » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:46 pm

I know this is an old thread, but it's exactly the topic of my concern. I also have some front brake grinding noise. I thought it might be the pads, but I pulled the caliper and there is plenty of pad left.

What was the final cause of the front brake grinding?

TIA

Matt
Matt
2010 SH150i US model

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:55 pm

I guess corrosion on the pins that allow both sides to move back and forth?
Maybe someone else will chime in.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:52 am

The original pads have a tendency to give a grinding feel and noise in the brake lever when you brake hard (severaltimes) i guess this is due to the composit used on the pads.

For the pins i now use long stainless 6mm metric allen bolts with a stainless locknut, the allen head falls exactly in the recess, the locknuts have to be replaced every time you replce the pads, plastic caged locknuts are for ONE TIME USE ONLY.

313Matt

Post by 313Matt » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:12 am

Ahh, interesting. What brake pad brand are you using now?

I have switched to Ferodo on my other bikes, but I don't see a Ferodo pad for the SH. I see a "Sixity" pad, but have never used them before. There are also EBC available.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sixity-Front-O ... brake+pads

This looks like a job that will need to be done, and soon. I have a small impact wrench that will hopefully pull those pins. Replacement pins in stainless sounds like a good idea. Metric stainless is a little rare here in the US, but can be found.

Thanks for the help.
Matt
2010 SH150i US model