Tuning S.C. (slow chat)#1, where we all want to go 160

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
robber57
Admin

Tuning S.C. (slow chat)#1, where we all want to go 160

Post by robber57 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:50 pm

Welcome to the Tuning S.C.
A corner where you can freely hook on and discus anything about tuning the SH engine, varios,exhausts,fuel boxes,BBK,gears,turbos or nitrous , if it will make it go more bang its welcome!

This topic originates from Here and Here
If you would like to follow/leech this topic without posting you can subscribe by clicking on " Subscribe topic" , you will get a email notification when a new post is made.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

robber57
Admin

Re: Tuning S.C. (slow chat)#1, where we all want to go 160

Post by robber57 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:02 pm

So i got the Malossi fuel controller and mounted it.

It is a box which plugs between the oxygen sensor and ecu, installation is a 3 minute job.

It receives from the oxygen sensor a voltage and changes it on the fly, this makes it almost certain that only the fuel values in "closed loop" are effected, these are the injection values given by the ecu to the injector between aprox 20% and 80% throttle
There is nothing to adjust, no dials,switches or whatever, its plug and play and so it is a easy and cheap alternative to the "real" fuel controllers like the juicebox or fastbox

The effect; it is more responsive in the midrange, gives a bigger punch when accelerating out of a corner especially when you go from 30% throttle to almost full.
The top speed stayed (almost) the same, i use to have exactly 110 km/h as topspeed, this seems to have been raised to 111 to 112 km/h, or its just me wanting to see a difference :lol:
For fuel economy and cant give any comments yet but it is likely that it will be lower, knowing how much will take emptying several tanks of fuel to get a average value.

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:31 pm

Next addition; the "longer" malossi gear set for the final drive.
Installation was not all that much work or difficult but you do need a tool to press the ingoing shaft out of the crankcase and after that to pull the bearing of the shaft, alternatively gently heating the crankcase with a torch (cover the seal with a big washer) will get the shaft also out the crankcase and with a big vice you can push the bearing of the axle (NEVER use a hammer on bearings)
If you also want to do this mod i also strongly recommend to first buy a new drive-case gasket as it will almost certainly break when you take the 2 cases apart.
Before taking it apart wash the back end of the bike thoroughly to remove all sand and dirt and when you start unscrewing the bolts use a piece of cardboard to stick the bolts in so afterwards when you have to put them back you know which one goes where, they have different length and if you screw a long one in the short cavity you may ruin the case(!), the difference is only 5 mm(1/4") so beware.

The effect: top speed has gone up from 110 km/h(68 mph) to 120-125 km/h(75-78 mph) with an absolute maximum of 135 km/h(84 mph) going downhill, at 130 the rev limiter starts kicking in so in normal use it will not go over 130.
In other words; where i resided with the practical limitation of not being able to overtake on the highway and was bound to the far right lane i now can overtake other traffic with ease 8-)
I even drove it on the mid to left lanes without any problems with other traffic on the only piece of 6 lane (x2)highway we have in Holland near Amsterdam/Schiphol airport during rush hour.

Acceleration is now of course a tiny bit less but still more then adequate to outrun any car in normal traffic and certainly still quicker compared to a standard SH.
Because of the longer final gear which opposes more load to the variator the rpm has gone a bit down, this also contributes to the slower acceleration, i am currently at 9.2 grams so i will have to start looking for a bit lighter rollers, once i have these in there is a good chance acceleration will be again up to almost the previous level.

The chassis; Its clear why honda limited the topspeed of the bike to about 110 km/h, at 120 km/h there is a slight tendency for weaving on the backside the correct word for it is caster flutter or shimmy, on long highspeed cornering this can become a bit worse and makes the whole bike feel a bit unstable, its probably due to the rather soft suspension at the front.
At highspeed the front end goes a bit down due to the wind pressure and the back goes up because of the drive force(you can notice this by the change of the horizon line in your mirrors),therefore trail and caster become less and so the back end starts to weave.
Raising the front end a bit so at high speed steering geometry stays on the plus side usually cures it so thats also added to the "to do" list,
It would involve putting a shim on the frontfork spring, this does not stiffen up the spring as the spring stays the same with the same spring constant but it would cause the front end to raise up out of the tube more.

Ive just been out on a sushi meeting with the whole moderator team of another site i mod, the trip was a good 200 km (125 miles) and after the first few dozen miles i got comfortable with the higher topspeed and there is only one thing i can say; i should have done this 2 years ago, the bike is now definitely "highway capable". 8-)

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Tue May 01, 2012 6:15 pm

robber57 wrote: The effect: top speed has gone up from 110 km/h(68 mph) to 120-125 km/h(75-78 mph) with an absolute maximum of 135 km/h(84 mph) going downhill, at 130 the rev limiter starts kicking in so in normal use it will not go over 130.

Huge gain in top speed with minimal $ spent.
Good for you!
2009 Silverwing 600, black SH150i sold
Winnipeg Canada

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:55 pm

Well, i dont want to call the gain "huge", its not that much imho, but its a remarkable gain in that it makes the bike really more useful with,after all, relatively little money spend, i am still no way near the difference between a sh150 and a sh300

Your comment also gives me the idea that it may be helpful for others if they can see what i did spend.
tomorrow i will dive in my administration to find the receipts....

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Tue May 01, 2012 9:22 pm

robber57 wrote:Well, i dont want to call the gain "huge", its not that much imho
A 9%-14% gain in top speed is huge in my books.
2009 Silverwing 600, black SH150i sold
Winnipeg Canada

IntlRunner
Staff

Post by IntlRunner » Thu May 03, 2012 10:14 am

Robber57,

Thanks for sharing as it would be nice to get the speed bump, but do you think a person could get that with just the gear change or would they also need some of the other changes you made like roller weight change & performance pipe to obtain the power to get there?

Mark
2008 Honda ST1300
2010 Honda Sh150i

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:47 pm

My time at the moment is limited, i was planning to make a list with the parts and prices and what the influence of each part has been.
In short: the biggest cost was the exhaust and can be circumvent by buying a relatively cheap leovince 4-road, it will do the same but costs less.
rollers are necessary and the gears.
The fuel controller has ,to what i know at this moment, no effect since it only works in the "closed loop" injection control area which does not include full throttle.
The clutch you may want to buy but is also not necessary since it only effects take off which will be slower because of the longer gear ratio.

So in short; you definitely need the rollers and very likely the exhaust.]
Do it as i did; step by step; first the rollers,then the exhaust and you will then have a mean accelerating machine, then trade some off that acceleration off for more topspeed.

blowpipe

Post by blowpipe » Wed May 09, 2012 12:56 pm

Will the fuel controller work on the SH125?

Love to have a bit extra for those tricky overtakes...

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Yes it will also work on the 125.
Keep in mind, it does nothing outside the "open loop" area and that includes full throttle.

If you really want more overtaking power; another exhaust+9.8 or 9.2 gram rollers will do the trick, with my previous setup of the yasuni+rollers the bike rushed to 110 km/h in record time.
There still was the hesitation(small drop in rpm) at around 100 Km/h and with the 9.2 gram rollers this almost disappeared completely, i am getting to the point to believe that this can probably solved with another variator.