My first oil change.

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
jergrande

Re: My first oil change.

Post by jergrande » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:37 pm

I've had my scooter for a little over a year now, & after reading this post (great info :D ) , I think I'm ready to do my next oil change my self 8-)
The one question I have is: In doing it myself, how do you reset the "Oil Change" light that is glaring me in the face :shock: ? (2010 SH150i) So far, the dealer has done that for me.
Thanks for any help & all the great info :)

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:48 am

What an annoying light that is. Little did Honda realize that the devout SH rider has his frequent oil changes inscribed upon his very soul and needs not have to momentarily feel the 'panic' this light induces when it unexpectedly decides to show itself.....

To be rid of it: Press down and hold the little button on the right that also is used to set the clock. While holding down this button, turn on the ignition, then turn the ignition off, release button..... Light be gone.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

jergrande

Post by jergrande » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:53 pm

Well, yesterday I took the plunge & did my first oil change. 8-) Logistically, I had it all worked out.
I used cinder blocks(had a dozen around the yard) to brace the scoot in an upward position, 2 pressed next to the upward kickstand & one against the front tire. That worked after I loosened the 17mm nut, with the stand DOWN (the shop put a death grip on it :x )
Then I "tried" to create an oil pan, after hearing the difficulties of other attempts. :? Out of a 2 Lt bottle I created my idea, with a side spout to help catch the spring & filter.
Now the photo's a little blurry, but I accomplished one thing: I caught the spring & filter 8-) But I still got oil everywhere :oops: Needed a Bigger container with a better seal.
Oh Well, Live & Learn
And Thanks to TommyXP
TommyXP wrote:What an annoying light that is. Little did Honda realize that the devout SH rider has his frequent oil changes inscribed upon his very soul and needs not have to momentarily feel the 'panic' this light induces when it unexpectedly decides to show itself.....

To be rid of it: Press down and hold the little button on the right that also is used to set the clock. While holding down this button, turn on the ignition, then turn the ignition off, release button..... Light be gone.
It worked! The light is Gone 8-) :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:20 am

I too, have wasted a lot of time and effort trying to change the oil as if it were radioactive and I was doing it in the girl-friends bedroom; the one with the White shag carpet.......

Lately, I have devolved to the level of not-giving-a-sh*t and just DO IT out-of-doors where it matters least. All the 'Time' wasted setting-up, cautions and effort, are now put to better purpose; such as exercising 'cleanroom-like' procedures when putting the oil back-in, cleaning the strainer, plug, mating gasket area thoroughly, replacing the O-ring, not de-forming the cap-nut by using the 'proper' tool, etc......

"Invert the Order of Concern!" Quit thinking about ones-self all the time and focus on the bike! :shock: Catch what you can and hit the road is the new motto/procedure here at The Lazy-Bones lodge/guide to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance INC. Also, a home to unwed mothers (thanks guys).......

NOTE: The torque specification for the strainer-cap is (not much) - 15ftlb / 20Nm.....and the Service Manual 'specifies' that the O-ring be replaced at this time too. ;)
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

ivanp

Post by ivanp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:32 am

TommyXP wrote:...
NOTE: The torque specification for the strainer-cap is (not much) - 15ftlb / 20Nm.....and the Service Manual 'specifies' that the O-ring be replaced at this time too. ;)
Hi,
Keeping in mind that there is an O-ring and the weakness of that metal part - last time I have torqued it with 15Nm - no leaks so far.
I shall see how is going ...

All the best,
Paul

DaBinChe

Post by DaBinChe » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:53 pm

I started using Grey Beard Pump instead of the oil drain. Take the hassle out of the dumb location of the drain plug. Makes oil changes neat and clean.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:12 am

Thank you, Robber57, for this excellent information:

"THE most important factor for the oil is to have the JASO rating which tells you the oil is specifically designed for motorcycles and scooters,preferably it should be JASO MB but any other (MA,MA1,MA2) will also do.
You will find this information in small print on the bottle, if it nowhere says JASO, its not a motorcycle oil and you should not use it.
Very modern high-tech car oil may damage the camshaft,dont use these and dont use oil which has a (fuel)"energy conserving" label/text ,even despite the bottle saying its the best in the world
."

Upon learning that, I found Walmart has such an oil, Super Tech Full Synthetic SAE 10W-30 4-Stroke ATV Motor Oil, JASO MA2, for $8.12 / quart. Note it says it is for ATVs, and Walmart has a different JASO MA2 oil, for motorcycles, but it is 10W-40. Which is preferable for our SH150i? The Honda manual specifies 10W-30.

Also, regarding the O-ring that seals the oil drain plug, which is 36mm OD x 31.2mm ID X 2.4mm CS (CS means cross section), I found the original Honda OEM part for $3.02 each, but on Amazon this deal was $7.99 for 20 pieces, or 40 cents each:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09 ... UTF8&psc=1