My first oil change.

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
SWDan

Re: My first oil change.

Post by SWDan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:27 pm

I will probably be doing the 6 month plan also, that's what the manual says. Although I have extra o-rings ordered, I think you can inspect and reuse if it looks okay. So the only cost is for a quart of oil, sounds cheap to me!
Honda, 2010, SH150i

2013SH150i

Post by 2013SH150i » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:41 am

I had 2,000 kilometers on my last oil service and was surprised how much quieter the engine is now.
Using the same Honda 10/30MB oil.
Is the oil breaking down that quickly?
The Honda mechanic says to run it 4,000k before my next service.

Should I change over to synthetic I wonder?

For the record I changed the oil at:
4,000k (today)

jimbob

Post by jimbob » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:28 pm

just changed my oil and released I put in the oil screen and spring facing the wrong way (end of the screen facing up not down)!

Is this going to make any difference?

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:05 pm

Probably. Might be rubbing on something inside??? Better to just make a mess and save what oil you can and just re-do it. Better safe than sorry......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

jimbob

Post by jimbob » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:05 pm

thanks. you are right of course, I'm just too damn lazy :)

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:36 pm

2013SH150i wrote:I had 2,000 kilometers on my last oil service and was surprised how much quieter the engine is now.
Using the same Honda 10/30MB oil.
Is the oil breaking down that quickly?
The Honda mechanic says to run it 4,000k before my next service.

Should I change over to synthetic I wonder?

For the record I changed the oil at:
4,000k (today)
You are using the oil the honda suggest/recommends ,this may improve by changing to something else(like a synthetic) but it might just as well become worse.
If want to play it save you could step up to the honda synthetic, youre probably using the GN4(mineral), HP4(syn-min blend) or the HP4M (syn-min blend with molykote) but there is a HP4S and its full synthetic , have a look: http://prohondaoils.com/engine-oils/4-stroke-engines/
This may be a bit more expensive then any other synthetic but you get a good night sleep knowing its safe as it also is an oil recommended/made by honda and lucky for you is the fact that you should be able to obtain it fairly easy as honda usa actually sells these oils, in europe these oils by honda are impossible to find or order, even at the dealer. :(
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

2013SH150i

Post by 2013SH150i » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks.
I'm in Thailand and have not see the Honda synthetic. I take a good look this week.

Nikolaidis

Post by Nikolaidis » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:52 pm

what about the Motul is it a good oil? should last longer?
Malossi TC Unit O2 Controller [Lamda Emulator]
Malossi Multivar MHR 9.5gr [RR] Dr.Pulleys with [white] contra spring
Malossi clutch springs [white]

Malossi Rs 24

Mivv Gp
DNA Air/Filter

waspmike

Post by waspmike » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:28 pm

2013SH150i wrote:Thanks.
I'm in Thailand and have not see the Honda synthetic. I take a good look this week.
I'm also in Thailand Image

As the engine oil doesn't come into contact with a clutch, any automotive synthetic will do. Mobil 1, Castrol Magnatec etc.

Shell Advance Ultra 4T is a fully synthetic motorcycle oil and should be available at most Shell stations.

OR

PETRONAS SYNTIUM MOTO RS-4 or 4SP if you can find it at a Petronas station. That is the oil that keeps interrupting our coverage of Formula One!

I would not personally use a synthetic at the first oil change I would leave it until at least the second or maybe even the third.

luxroller

Post by luxroller » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:23 am

Did my first oil change too and it was a real "piece of cake" :D
I had put the frontwheel in my "steady stand" in wich normaly my other bike is parked, so the oil would not drip over the center stand. If you dont have a "steadystand" or some thing like that you could also simply put the bike against a wall or let the bike held by someone else: with the bike on the center stand a mess is guaranteed ;)
Over the waste oil bucket i had put a piece of mesh so the drainplug, spring and mesh did not fall into the waste oil.
How to reset the service light is descrived in the manual, and its really easy.
Make sure the oil is warm/hot, wear plastic gloves, work clean (any dust or crap that will come in the engine will stay there and will circulate in the engine as there is no filter), Dont over-or-undertighten the drain plug (if you damage the sump by overtightening you got a big problem). Let the bike lean a bit over to the right side to make sure all the old oil comes out. Bring the waste-oil to a recycling center !
Cheers,
Toni