change coolant every 2 years..really?

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
onefastsv

change coolant every 2 years..really?

Post by onefastsv » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:14 pm

I just changed the coolant and final drive oil today in my SH150i. I bought it used and it had its service records so it had its fair share of oil changes but no indication of a coolant service and none of the receipts listed coolant on them. So its my opinion that in the 3 or 4 years it has been on the road the coolant had not been serviced. However the oil in the final drive looks like it had been. The lower drain bolt was very tight and the crush washer was murdered. Probably tried to reuse it and it dripped so the previous owner kept on tightening it tighter and tighter. The upper fill bolt was missing a washer completely. It also had purple colored oil (Royal Purple?) but it was very broken down and dirty. So I am glad I changed it out.

The coolant was rather easy to change. The hardest part was getting the front cover off so I can reach the reservoir and radiator. The drain plug was rather tight so my guess it this was the first time it was drained. I was expecting some nasty coolant to come out. However what came out was still nice and green and had a strong coolant smell like it was just fine. Either it had been serviced before or the coolant in it was likely just fine even after 3 or 4 years. No scale in the radiator so it was doing its job.

It got me thinking if changing your coolant every 2 years is really overkill now days?

I usually do it for the piece of mind every 2 to 3 years but have gone as long as 4 years without issue. Its a messy and smelly job not to mention its fairly toxic stuff. Best not to handle it if you can help it. I would sure hate to find out the hard way but its my opinion that every 2 years is over kill now. I think you can easily push it to 5 years and not have any real trouble. I guess it depends on how the bike is stored and what conditions its operated in plus mileage etc. However for most people pushing it a bit is probably just fine. Maybe instead of every 2 years do it at the 3 year mark?

Just curious on opinions? I know its easy and coolant is not that expensive but I just hate dumping perfectly good coolant. BTW, I used the Honda motorcycle stuff. Took almost a full quart but I likely spilled a bit when I burped the air bubbles out.

Up next is the brake fluid in the front reservoir. This is not that difficult with the right tools but the same thing. Some say to replace every 12 months. I have gone 2 years without issue. I have purchased used bikes with fluid so dark yet the brakes still worked. I know when water gets in it corrodes the internals but every 2 years might be a bit overkill as well. Again it depends on operating conditions. If you live in Arizona you might get by with never changing it but if you live in Florida or Hawaii you probably have to do it fairly constantly.

robber57
Admin

Re: change coolant every 2 years..really?

Post by robber57 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

The fact that it still looked good means you were just in time.....

Waiting until there is visible degradation is stretching it for a few dollars, if it still looks good it doesnt mean it IS still good, this is most noticeable on brake fluid, it just absorbs more and more water and when it is already way past the point of having to throw it out you will see some change.

The same goes for coolant, there are lubricating and anti-oxidation dopes in this stuff and at some point these will start to disappear/fall down in the system, the idea is to replace the coolant before that happens.
You are doing a good job.

I have a vague remembrance of the original transmission fluid being pinkish in color....
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.