What brand of oil are you runnin?

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
Renegade

What brand of oil are you runnin?

Post by Renegade » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:09 pm

I have the Honda full synthetic. May switch to Amsoil next change. What's in your scoot?

SH150i and Harley 883 Iron

SilverBolt

Re: What brand of oil are you runnin?

Post by SilverBolt » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:50 pm

Valvoline motorcycle oil right now but switching to Amsoil next change.

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:14 pm

Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic
2009 Silverwing 600, black SH150i sold
Winnipeg Canada

ambientscape

Post by ambientscape » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:56 pm

I was a bit confused as was I doing some research on the types of engine oil suitable for SH. Is automobile oil safe to use for SH? My mechanic says its "ok" to use if its dry clutch not wet clutch system as automotive oil will cause slippage. Anyone be able to confirm this?

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Automotive oil, with the energy saving starburst symbol on the label, is not recommended for high rpm engines like motorcycles and scooters. The reason is that the automotive oils have very low levels of ZDDP ((Zinc Dialkyl-Dithio- Phosphate), which is a lubricant. Higher levels of ZDDP are required to adequately lubricate the high rpm valvetrain. Any oil with a JASO MA rating has the higher levels of ZDDP. So just because you have a dry clutch and the extra moly in auto oil won't affect it, you still need the protection of a JASO MA rated oil. Ask your mechanic what he thinks about the need for ZDDP and see what he says.
Winnipeg Canada

ambientscape

Post by ambientscape » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:30 am

Thanks for the info....however if am not mistaken rotella is a diesel engine oil? i am aware of the zddp substance .....but what damage would it make to the engine with reduced on those? engine seizure? On the other side, mobil1 claims that their oil its safe to be used in motorcycle engine as long as its not wet clutch. Please correct me if i am wrong....

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:14 am

ambientscape wrote:Thanks for the info....however if am not mistaken rotella is a diesel engine oil? i am aware of the zddp substance .....but what damage would it make to the engine with reduced on those? engine seizure? On the other side, mobil1 claims that their oil its safe to be used in motorcycle engine as long as its not wet clutch. Please correct me if i am wrong....
Rotella is an HDEO (Heavy Duty Engine Oil), often called a diesel engine oil.
Reducing ZDDP could result in camshaft, bucket, or shim wear.
Mobil does make specific JASO MA rated motorcycle oils, their MX4T 10W-40 and their VTwin 20W-50. Their Mobil1 car oil is not JASO MA rated.

Your owner's manual for your scooter calls for a JASO MA rated oil. Why wouldn't you use one?
Rotella T6 5W-40 is JASO MA rated, as is their Rotella T5 I believe.
Winnipeg Canada

ambientscape

Post by ambientscape » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:03 am

I was kinda tempted to try out their Mobil1 Gold 0W-40. Oh well, I better stick to their 4T version for scooters or motorcycles. I'm not sure where I could find Rotella here in my place.... except Shell Advance 4T is everywhere!