Variator, roller weights and RPM

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
cathyliebchen

Re: Variator, roller weights and RPM

Post by cathyliebchen » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:23 am

[quote="robber57"]Ok, thank you, i was not aware these also sold on ebay but even then they are still a bit pricy.

yes the sliders cost more than the rollers but work much better. Dial in the weight you like with the rollers then get a set of sliders in that weight

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:59 pm

Hm, as i understood the weight of normal rollers and drpulley are not compatible, the drpulley should be a bit lighter then normal rollers, probably to overcome the higher resistance from the flat surface?
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

DarthEmma

Post by DarthEmma » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:04 am

Ok, so I'm doing a bit of necrothreading here...

I am trying to assemble the parts I want to put in the engine/transmission of my 2010 Sh150i. Based on this thread, I think I am considering buying a set of 20 x 10g Dr. Pulley sliders for my stock variator.

I found a good selection here:
http://www.mx-performance.com/id120.html

If you look in the first column, third row down, there are "20x12" weights listed for Zuma 125. The third one down in that box says:
YAMAHA ZUMA 125
Dr Pulley 20x12 10.00 gram

I don't claim to be an expert on vairtors, but I assume they were lazy and it should actually read 20x10. Isn't the second number the weight in grams?

I guess I want to confirm whether or not that set of 10g sliders will fit in my SH150i variator.

Also, do you think the 9g sliders might be a better choice?

Thank you!

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Rollers have a width and a diameter and a weight, so the first 2 numbers of drpulley refer to the size of actual rollers for the engine and the 3th number is the weight.
The original rollers measure 20x15 mm and have a weight of 12.25 gram each.

I have never tried dr pulley so i cant tell you what weight to choose but it should be aprox the same weight as normal rollers.
For optimal performance with an aftermarket performance exhaust it should be in the range 9 to 10 grams, 10 would be sufficient for a small person and 9 for somewhat heavier loads.
As dr pulley sliders work a bit different the weight for a drpulley slider with the same effect as a roller can/will be different, taht said; i know from reports that also with drpulley 9 to 10 grams should be the way to go.

Also keep in mind: if you have plans to replace the stock vario with an aftermarket race vario the size of the rollers often change, a malossi MHR vario uses 20x17 rollers so drpulley sliders for the stock vario wont fit the malossi.

As i assume this ruckus will be completely modified have a look at this: http://www.malossistore.eu/en/models/HO ... =-1&Type=M

A few pages of the complete assortment of all malossi mods for the sh150,some are useful some less or not.
If you want a lightning fast sh engine i can advise to have a look at the red-white-yellow spring kit for the clutch, it increases engine rpm at takeoff.
The 3 colors of the spring represent the spring tension,white-soft,yellow=a bit more, red=stiff.
I use the yellow springs, the red ones are also usable but not if you do a lot of sart-stop driving like in a city because you will fry the clutch.
Another unwanted side-effect: if you raise the rpm this also means that the speed at which the clutch releases will increase meaning; stock springs will release below 15 km/h, the red springs release below 27 km/h, so if you use the red springs the clutch releases if youre in a slow corner making you go idle around the corner, not every one can live with this effect.

DarthEmma

Post by DarthEmma » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:15 pm

robber57 wrote:Rollers have a width and a diameter and a weight, so the first 2 numbers of drpulley refer to the size of actual rollers for the engine and the 3th number is the weight.
The original rollers measure 20x15 mm and have a weight of 12.25 gram each.

I have never tried dr pulley so i cant tell you what weight to choose but it should be aprox the same weight as normal rollers.
For optimal performance with an aftermarket performance exhaust it should be in the range 9 to 10 grams, 10 would be sufficient for a small person and 9 for somewhat heavier loads.
As dr pulley sliders work a bit different the weight for a drpulley slider with the same effect as a roller can/will be different, taht said; i know from reports that also with drpulley 9 to 10 grams should be the way to go.

Thanks. That's just what I needed to know.

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:23 pm

I did a ninja edit :oops:

I guess you will have to email the shop and ask for the 20x15 as the site does not list these.

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:29 pm

http://www.drpulley.info/shop/index.php ... li5v15nvi2

Its the european drpulley site, it can give you the part order number.
They ship to the usa but i think this will be very expensive, better to google the partnumber for a local retailer.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:23 pm

DarthEmma

Post by DarthEmma » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:06 pm

I have Dr. Pulley sliders in the NR Magic variator in my Ruckus. I have tinkered with the sliders and jetting in my Ruckus and I do like the sliders.

I think what I will probably do is put he stock SH150i engine and CVT in my Ruckus and see how it rides. This bike will be significantly lighter than a stock SH150i, so it may be plenty fast and responsive as it is. However, I may want more.

Right now I am reading and deciding on mods I might do later. It sounds like a variator and clutch are both good choices.

The selection of mods for the stock Ruckus with the stock GET is very extensive. There are also a lot of available accessories for the commonly-used GY6 (150cc) engine that people usually use in the Rucks. I didn't want to go GY6 though. I wanted to go with a Honda engine. I also wanted it to be fuel injected and liquid cooled. The SH150i provides all those things. I am pleased to see there are some mods available for that drive train.

I really appreciate your help and suggestions. I will bookmark the links you gave me. Once my engine is swapped and running, I can then consider a clutch and variator swap and start tinkering with sliders at that point. Who knows, I may just keep the stock variator and clutch, but I just don't know. I think I'll hold on to my money for now and wait until the engine is in the bike.

Thanks again.

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:45 pm

Your idea seems indeed the better way, first see what happens with the stock engine.

If you come tot that point: just switching the springs in the clutch is sufficient, a complete new clutch i cannot recommend as most adjustable after market clutches are no way near the quality of the stock clutch-its motsly the adjustment system in these which is unreliable, just swapping the springs will do the trick and you will still have the quality of the stock clutch.
Just like the variator: if youre original vario is still in good shape there's no real need to swap it for a aftermarket as there is only a small gain with these vs less quality over the original one, just changing rollers/sliders will do 90% of what's possible.