Sh150i will not start

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
waspmike

Re: Sh150i will not start

Post by waspmike » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:09 pm

jimbob wrote:thanks! problem solved for small $$ :)
General stuff. If the battery is below 10.5 volts they generally don't come back to full capacity.

Morecoffee

Post by Morecoffee » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:53 pm

Ok. so recently I have been plagued with starting issues and had to investigate/troubleshoot the problem. This appears to be a battery related issue. So how did I come to this conclusion you ask? Well after doing some research and forum reading I realized the battery is not performing like it should. The battery would seem normal right after charging then loss voltage overnight. I have a dealer installed battery tender pigtail plug that terminates in the under seat storage compartment. This makes checking and charging the battery an easy task. Well the battery finally died. The battery voltage is at 12.3 VDC but when you push the start button the voltage drops down to 8 VDC. This is after charging the battery overnight. No surprise, till I finally opened the battery compartment a noticed a different battery then what OEM should have installed. The battery is a Power Source WP7L-BS 12volt 6 AH which was made in Vietnam. This appears to have been replaced by either the manufacture or dealer. Since I purchased the scoot with no warranty I have to eat this expense, but at least I know I will have the correct battery from here on out. A OEM Yuasa YTX7L-BS should be here in 4 days, hopefully I can install the battery and be back on the road in 5 days.

waspmike

Post by waspmike » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:40 pm

How old is the scooter or the battery? here in Thailand a battery lasts about 2 years. This is primarily due to the high average temperature. In your more temperate climate you might get a bit more. You are just unlucky.

Since it is likely your scooter was made in Vietnam, the battery you have is OEM. If the codes you give are correct both batteries are 12v 6Ah so identical. There maybe some production quality control issues but a battery is a battery is a battery.

Does your battery charger reach 14v or over during charge? Sealed gel batteries require a higher charge voltage than "conventional" batteries.

Morecoffee

Post by Morecoffee » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:07 pm

2010 so I guess the battery is 4 1/2 years old.

The weather in SoCal is very mild averaging 23-26C. So I don't think the weather had anything to do with the battery failure. The lead acid battery in my 1992 Miata is 9 years old (D05 battery stamp) and still kicking.

I have a battery tender junior high efficiency and a Schumacher microprocessor 2/10/engine start charger. In AGM mode I have seen the battery voltage peak at 16 VDC.

Like you said a battery is a battery, but my luck has been less then stellar lately :(