Piston replacement summary

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
breaknwind

Piston replacement summary

Post by breaknwind » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:46 am

I’m posting this summary of my piston replacement to help others avoid aggravation caused by the service manual. You can use this info for BBK kits, cylinder head and piston/cylinder removal for repair.
Along with the proper tools you’ll need wire ties and sandwich bags. I put the bolt/nut/washers from the individual components in a plastic bag and wire tied them to the parts they belong to.
The biggest complaint I have is depressurizing the fuel line. This must be done when the motor can be started. If for some reason the motor can’t be started, remove the fuel line at the fuel tank before you remove the injector assembly.
I don’t think that the manual listed the order of component removal properly. If I were to do this again, I would remove them this way. Obviously remove the body panels first.
Depressurize the fuel line- drain the coolant- remove: exhaust- air cleaner housing- air chamber-PAIR solenoid valve-thermostat housing-injector-throttle body- intake manifold.
Removing these components first will greatly improve access to the motor. After removing the fuel line/injector, I wire tied bags on each end. After removing the throttle body, I put a bag over each side to completely cover it. Handle them very carefully!
Remove the lower bolts to the rear shocks and raise the wheel. I used a small block of wood or you can use winch straps. Now you can follow the steps to remove the cylinder head/cylinder/piston.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVYBYX8kVg0
Obviously if I had to do it again, I would do it faster. It took me 1hour to remove the cylinder/piston/head, 3 hours to remove the other components. It took me 1 ½ hour to replace the cylinder/piston/head, 2 hours to replace the other components. It’s been a long time. :oops:

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Piston replacement summary

Post by TommyXP » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:17 am

Thanks for sharing your valuable experience with us. I bookmarked the page because I know I will be able to utilize this advice in the future. Thanks for taking the time......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

DarthEmma

Re: Piston replacement summary

Post by DarthEmma » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:49 am

Awesome info. I'm considering a bbk for my 2010 SH150i. This info will be very useful.

Thanks a lot!