Engine oil problem! Please help!

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
scooterlover7

Engine oil problem! Please help!

Post by scooterlover7 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:42 pm

First of all, sorry for my bad English! :(
I have a 2010 SH150i which I really love although I don't ride it much!
Two weeks ago, when I unscrewed the bottom screw to drain all the old oil of my scooter.
When it completely drained, my son accidentally droped a bowl full of dirt that he is playing into the ground, made a very big dirt smog, right next to the drain hole and I saw a lot of dirt smog get through the drain hole. I think a lot a dirt could have get through the drain hole.
At that moment, I was too busy so I just screwed it in and fill with new oil like normal.
Now after 3 months with 200+km (I rarely use scooter), I scares it may destroy my engine.
Should I change the oil now? It look very clean, Or just leave it be. Will some dirt get into the oil will destroy my engine? Would it have to be super clean when you change the engine oil?
Thank you so much!

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Engine oil problem! Please help!

Post by TommyXP » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:29 am

To be on the safe side and more-so to give you peace of mind, I'd recommend you to change the oil now. It is only 1 quart ( .9 liter) and will be good for you and possibly your machine.
Take your time and keep the area around the drain plug and work area clean. Clean the screen, spring and plug with a clean rag before re-assembling. The service manual recommends changing the rubber O-ring during oil-change, and I am aware of many who don't do it that often.
Remember, the spring goes back in with the round end facing down and don't over torque the oil plug when putting it back in as its aluminum we are dealing with. The specification is 15 lbf-ft (2.0 kgf-m).......
I think you will be fine and enjoy many care-free miles ahead. Good Luck.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

luxroller

Post by luxroller » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:21 pm

To be on the safe side and more-so to give you peace of mind, I'd recommend you to change the oil now. It is only 1 quart ( .9 liter) and will be good for you and possibly your machine.
+1

Welcome in the forum, and take some more time to use your moped 8-)
From where are you writing?

Toni

waspmike

Post by waspmike » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:06 pm

scooterlover7 wrote:First of all, sorry for my bad English! :(

Don't worry about your English, I sometimes post on a French forum ;)

Dirt cannot travel uphill, so do not worry.

But to keep yourself happy change the oil. It is only 1 litre. Changing oil is best done when the engine is hot.

If you are really worried you can buy special flushing oil, usually sold for cars, which you could add and run not ride the scooter, then drain. If you can't find special flushing oil ordinary diesel fuel will do in an emergency.

Let your son help you change the oil then he will not play with dirt. :)
Last edited by waspmike on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

scooterlover7

Post by scooterlover7 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:09 pm

TommyXP, Luxroller and Waspmike, thank you guys so much!! You're my heroes!