Belt/transmission case air filter - Cleaning with solvent ?

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
rainbowwalker

Belt/transmission case air filter - Cleaning with solvent ?

Post by rainbowwalker » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:03 am

Hi all,

In my continued aim to service the bike myself to schedule, a new task has appeared on the service list that I could do with some advice on. It says I need to clean the belt case air filter with solvent, has anyone done this ?

I was half wondering if it was cheaper to just replace it, although are these filters oiled as well ? The Haynes service manual I have just says clean it with solvent (although Im not entirely sure what solvent I need).

Any help from someone that has done this will be gratefully received, as it what type of solvent, and how you did it. I find oil services really easy now (especially now that I have a front wheel chock stand that stands the bike up without using the main stand).

Many Thanks.

RBW.

N.B. Next task will be valve clearances, but that can wait until I have a quite day !

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Belt/transmission case air filter - Cleaning with solvent ?

Post by TommyXP » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:31 pm

The SH service manual specifies "wash the element in non-flammable or high flash point solvent. Squeeze out the solvent and let it dry thoroughly, then re-install."
Every time I have cleaned mine I used dish soap, for whatever that is worth. It appears to me that the filter is intended to just keep the big chunks out. Do what you deem best and you are most comfortable with....
Doing the valves is not difficult and is just a matter of taking your time and following the procedure.....
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:52 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5155
this is what it is 19412-KGF-910 ELEMENT $5.18. I just replaced it cause I'm lazy :roll:

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:27 pm

Just dish-soap and warm water will do it.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

rainbowwalker

Post by rainbowwalker » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:29 pm

Excellent, thanks guys.

Just changed the oil, and got a new Michelin City Grip on the rear (18 bolts/screws in total to take the rear wheel off :O ).

Next job is that filter and the valve clearances, but seems like I need to get quite a lot of the bodywork off for access to the filter.

RBW.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:13 am

With the patience of a Saint, one can access the filter with only the removal of the "floor lower cover". I have done it many times and it only gets a little easier with practice.
I suggest getting a set of small "ignition" mm wrenches (though SAE will work too) that have "box" on one end and open-ended on the other; a set of long needle-nose pliers (for putting the bolt back in hole) and something comfortable to lie on.
The "hidden" bolt can be seen from the bottom, looking up, approximately 4" from your eyeballs and by contorting your limbs and fingers in a manner that they have never assumed before, you can remove that screw with only having to remove that very bottom piece of plastic. And putting it back is no less easier after cleaning.
You must have Faith that you can do it for it seems (at times) and appears impossible, but it is doable. It also greatly helps to be well versed and a believer in the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"!
You can do it and Good Luck......

Just remembered that the last time I pried a piece of plastic up over the rear foot rest and it gave a little more room. It didn't want to go but I forced it almost to the point of breaking......lazy
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

rainbowwalker

Post by rainbowwalker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:26 am

Ooh thanks TommyXP, thats great to know !

RBW.

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:24 pm

:lol:

I can do it without having to remove any plastic at all 8-) , but that maybe due to my model,its a 2006.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.