SH150i 2014 headlight bulb change

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
Nimrod

SH150i 2014 headlight bulb change

Post by Nimrod » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:04 am

I was I bit dissatisfied from the stock headlight of my Honda SH150i 2014.
It was adequate but not quite bright and a too warm (yellowish) for my taste.

After some reading, I decided to upgrade the main H4 headlight bulb with a more powerful one, but still 55/60W as the original.

I was considering two bulbs - Philips X-treme Vision Moto and Osram Night Racer 110.
Both bulbs get high rating online so I bought the Osram as it was easier to obtain around here.

Now both Philips and Osram have similar bulbs but for cars and in dual pack - Philips x-treme vision (no moto) and Osram Night Breaker 110.

The price for the auto version is around 50% less than the moto version, which means that you can buy two auto bulbs for the price of one moto bulb.

The auto and moto version must be quite similar as light output, the only difference (if any at all) must be in vibration resistance - the moto version must be able to sustain stronger vibration as such are more common in a motorcycle.

I am not sure if Philips and Osram actually produce the auto and the moto versions any different - they may be coming from the same production line and just put in different packages.
Many motorcyclist report using the auto version without any issues, so it is up to you to decide what to buy when changing the bulb.

Anyway, the bulb change turned out to be quite a job and not something easy, which can be done in few minutes on the side of the road.
Once done, it is easier next time, so I suggest to carry a spare in the scooter and train yourself how to do it, especially if you are making long out of city commutes after sunset.

It is important to know that you have to disassemble the front windscreen and hand guards in order to remove the plastic fairings, bellow which is the bulb.

Here are some pictures of the process:

Overall, not difficult, but time consuming job.
It took me around two hours from start to finish.

There were some hidden clips and tabs, which held the plastic fairings together.
If something does not come apart after all the screws were unscrewed, do not force it!

There must be some small clip somewhere and it is holding it.
Find it and remove it, forcing it will break the plastic.

I forgot to make "before" and "after" pictures of the light output, but these pictures do not show the real difference anyway.

My opinion is that the new bulb is noticeably brighter and whiter and the beam has better geometry too.
So the change was totally worth it to me
Honda SH150i 2014

SWDan

Re: SH150i 2014 headlight bulb change

Post by SWDan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:17 am

Since it is brighter, does it burn hotter? And if it does, is extra heat going to be a problem with all that plastic?
Honda, 2010, SH150i

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:37 pm

SWDan wrote:Since it is brighter, does it burn hotter? And if it does, is extra heat going to be a problem with all that plastic?

I do not think that the new bulb is any hotter than the old one - after all they are the same wattage - 60/55W.
Certainly, I do not feel or notice increased heat in the headlight section.

The reason the new bulb is brighter is the material of the wire and the type of the gas inside.
You get brighter bulb but shorter lifespan and somewhat less durable construction.

The original bulb is a heavy duty type, which means it is very vibration and shock resistant, lasts for quite some time, but does not produce very much light.

The new bulb works for me as my driving is entirely in the city and if the main headlight bulb fails I still have the street lights to get home.

Also, there is the second position light bulb, which lights the two light "strips" - left and right on the front of the scooter.
This second bulb is not nearly bright enough to light the road in front of you but is bright enough to mark your scooter so it can be seen in the night and not run over by other vehicles.
Honda SH150i 2014

gigglefeet

Post by gigglefeet » Mon May 09, 2016 12:15 pm

@Nimrod,

I have the same bike as you, I was just wondering how you removed the front cowl?

I know you showed it in pictures, but I just removed all the screws you did and as per the owners manual, but still it was stuck together with the back piece and I didn't want to force it like you said.

My question is is it somehow cliped together and how to unclip it? Hope this makes sense.

Robert

p. s.
so after removing all the screws and front fairing the two pieces that are sandwiched between the mirrors didn't want to come apart :(
2015 SH150
Honda original Topbox

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Mon May 09, 2016 1:22 pm

Question...
From the pics... Why did the front cowel for the side lights etc need to come off?
I can see it made sense to remove the knucle gusrds for better access, bug could the top clock cover not be removed, followed by the head light shroud / front handlebar cover, without removing the front panel / side light cowling?
Thanks...

swampy

Post by swampy » Thu May 19, 2016 3:29 am

SH125Paul wrote:Question...
From the pics... Why did the front cowel for the side lights etc need to come off?
I can see it made sense to remove the knucle gusrds for better access, bug could the top clock cover not be removed, followed by the head light shroud / front handlebar cover, without removing the front panel / side light cowling?
Thanks...
Hello
I've taken my front light cover off a few times now when changing testing screens (puig city touring and honda screen)
you don't need to take the front panel off for the light cover but its easy and it gives you a little more room underneath when putting it all back together ... ( just undo the 2 top screws and pull from the bottom pops right off very easy .

Funny once when I was testing screens I forgot to plug in the headlight bulb connecter and only noticed it next morning at 6 oclock had to strip the thing down before going to work ! but it only took me 2 mins amount of time I've done it !

On my old 2013 sh125 I thought the headlight bulb was pretty good with no yellowing and looked like one of those white leds on the audi cars.

Also on my old sh300 I used a product called meguires car paint fine scratch remover on the headlight lense to remove the old muck and the light scratches and it made the headlight like new again
I used it on the clocks to and it looked like new ...(I did read somewhere you have to be careful as some clocks have a special coating for reflections you don't want to be rubbing that away! t it was ok on my sh300

I have no scooter at the moment looking to buy another sh125i :)