Side stand

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
NADman

Side stand

Post by NADman » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:43 pm

Got the Buzzetti side stand today. It doesn't lock open (over center) so that would mean it would flip up as soon as I lifted the bike. It would also fall over from a small rear bump or if parked on a downgrade. Is this the way they are all designed?
I think I'll drill a 1/4 in. hole at my whiteout mark and hock the springs to a 1/4 in. bolt to make it over center.
Unless there is a better way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JetRichard

Re: Side stand

Post by JetRichard » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:07 am

NADman wrote:Got the Buzzetti side stand today. It doesn't lock open (over center) so that would mean it would flip up as soon as I lifted the bike. It would also fall over from a small rear bump or if parked on a downgrade. Is this the way they are all designed?
I think I'll drill a 1/4 in. hole at my whiteout mark and hock the springs to a 1/4 in. bolt to make it over center.
Unless there is a better way.
Would love one too but this definitely looks like lazy design to me. Let me know how it works after mods! :)

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:04 am

NADman wrote:it would flip up as soon as I lifted the bike. It would also fall over from a small rear bump or if parked on a downgrade. Is this the way they are all designed?
It is a part of the natural design to function 'the way it does' and for sound reasons, me thinks.
You'll appreciate this the first time you pull-away with It down; and you will.
The center-stand provides the functions of a center-stand and a side-stand → a side-stand. Use according to best intention and purpose.
It also sounds like maybe you are not considering to utilize the brake-locking function that is always readily available.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

NADman

Post by NADman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:51 pm

You are right TommyXP. Fairly easy to install and I did not mod. it, thought I'd try it first.
It works well but I find it leans a bit to far. I only had to remove the plastic inset from the belly pan and carefully cut a hole in it so it would be simple, to take back to stock.
As far as the mod I was going to do there is lots of room to drill and install a 1/4 in bolt from the outside at any time and just move the springs over.
I just hate the way it slams up when you lift your bike. It's softer with just 1 spring.

waspmike

Post by waspmike » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:13 pm

TommyXP wrote:
NADman wrote:it would flip up as soon as I lifted the bike. It would also fall over from a small rear bump or if parked on a downgrade. Is this the way they are all designed?
It is a part of the natural design to function 'the way it does' and for sound reasons, me thinks.
Sounds European and the result of nanny state health and safety. The bane of Ducati salesmen?
Yes I would want mine to go over centre like say PCX.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:09 am

waspmike wrote:Yes I would want mine to go over centre like say PCX.
I employ this side-stand on 2 SH's and both go well-past center or whatever is being referred to as "over center" means. If 'center' means 6 o'clock; it goes to 7:30.

I believe the the initial 'wish' was for the the side-stand to somehow lock in position, so that if the bike were to fall over on its right side the side-stand would still be poking-up towards the Sky and you could hang a little flag on it.

The Buzetti's do allow more of a lean than necessary but sure beat-the-hell of having to horse the bike onto the center-stand every 2 minutes when I am out rescuing 'returnables' from ditches to fill the tank, because, like most SH riders ;) , I have absolutely nothing better or more important to do between therapy sessions.

waspmike

Post by waspmike » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:52 pm

What I mean is that it doesn't spring up when the bike is lifted.

For a real stand check out this?

The chrome tube under the gas bottle. It stays vertical when deployed so cannot bend and collapse.

Deployed

Won't fit a SH though... :lol:

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:04 am

Soooo.....the only reason for carrying the gas bottles is to provide pressure to operate the 'side-stand'???.... I'll take a pass on this one.

I'd rather strap a Geisha (for her mind and manners) on the back and have her daintily hold the bike vertical every time I 'dis-mount'.
This 'side-stand' has far greater visual appeal and I don't have to fill all those damned bottles every-other-day.........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NADman

Post by NADman » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 am

TommyXP wrote:Soooo.....the only reason for carrying the gas bottles is to provide pressure to operate the 'side-stand'???.... I'll take a pass on this one.

I'd rather strap a Geisha (for her mind and manners) on the back and have her daintily hold the bike vertical every time I 'dis-mount'.
This 'side-stand' has far greater visual appeal and I don't have to fill all those damned bottles every-other-day.........

How much are these?
I want one.

waspmike

Post by waspmike » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:34 am

Of course the side stand is needed to support the weight of the bottles, which they deliver every day. But I suppose...it sounds like a good idea to have a gas operated one :lol: