Steering Wobble FIXED

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
JetRichard

Steering Wobble FIXED

Post by JetRichard » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:34 pm

Hey everyone,

I may be a little late to the party with my new(to me) sh150 but I did solve I believe a pretty prevalent issue with the steering. I had the what you guys call around here a "wobble" which mysteriously appeared at some speed. Turns out there is a bolt assembly #11 #15 #16 & #18 on the diagram here http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html

It loosened maybe a quarter turn for me and caused the handlebar to move independently from the steering stem for just a little bit under pressure. I noticed this by accident when transporting my scoot in a van and had the front wheel in a choke. And as I said it took just a quarter turn to remedy the issue.

So basically what you need is to take of the front plastics to get access to both sides of the steering stem and this bolt assembly, put 14mm wrench on the front end and I believe 17mm socket on the rear and tighten just a wee bit. You should feel the difference right away! :)

Hope this helps someone!

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Steering Wobble FIXED

Post by TommyXP » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:02 am

Thanks for taking the time to share this information and especially for being so technically explicit.....
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:05 pm

Thank you for this great information. I was going to tighten the steering head bearing to try to eliminate some of the shuddering my front end does at times. Coming from motorcycles I never thought of checking that bolt also while I'm in there. That will be this weekends project for me. One of the bulbs are out in the dash too. I dont have a honda part but maybe they will have something similiar at the auto parts store.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:16 pm

Tightened my steering head bearing this weekend. You remove the front maintenance cover that holds the radiator and fuse box. There are two screws to reach for the inner garnishes that cover two more screws to the inner lid. Inner lid was easy to remove. You dont have to remove anything on the handlebar/cluster.
the ignition cover twists off counter clockwise. there is a small plastic piece under the headlight that fills the gap between the two sides of the inner lid that needs to be removed. Good time to check out your radiator hoses while the inner lid is off. Used a regular adjustable wrench to loosen the lock nut and tighten the steering stem. Went by feel and made sure the front forks would still swing freely from side to side. Gave the bolt that holds the handle bars to the steering stem a little crank also. Still have my front end shake on deceleration but does not feel as pronounced. Could be my imagination.

Garnish screws are hard to put back so do those first in case they drop into the bike tupperware and you have to remove the inner lid all over again. Ask me how I know. Long nose plyers helped on my second try.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:19 am

Thanks for the tips Mikey. You'd make a great 'technical' writer with your verbal 'illustrations'.

For those 2 really hard to get at (or even see in bright Sunlight) garnish screws, I save myself a lot of frustration and aggravation by taking the time to go to the toolbox and grabbing one of these:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

iluvmay

Post by iluvmay » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:33 am

Thank you bought new tires thinking that would help...but note...Will have to try this tonight.

octaman

Post by octaman » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:04 am

New tyres completely solved the problem for me.
However, I think that a symptom can sometimes be attributed to a combination of things that are not right.
Something to look into next time.
Ride safely, feel free