Purchased a set of Hyperpro progressive fork springs

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
luxroller

Re: Purchased a set of Hyperpro progressive fork springs

Post by luxroller » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:20 pm

Mikey, thanks for sharing these experieces ;) q. Do i understand right that the hyperperpro are stiffer than the stock springs ??? My SH150 is a 2011 model an the springs are (still after 17000 miles) completely unresponsive and stiff/hard as concrete.... and then suddenly on the bigger bumps or holes the fork reacts as if there was no spring at all... No bike i ever rode had such a bad shock absorbtion as the Sh :evil: I would buy the hyperpro springs but if they stiffer i am not sure anymore ..... :|
Toni

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:36 pm

I haven't had a chance to give it a good ride yet to really feel it out. Have you tried changing the fluid yet? The front suspension only has 3.5 inches of travel while my Suzuki DL650 has 5.9 inches. If you think about it, the spring has to adapt to a lot of different road conditions and braking with that little movement. The Honda SS-8 is a 10 weight fluid. You can experiment with a light weight fluid also. After I give it a good ride I'll report if there is any difference.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:17 am

Since I changed out the springs the scooter suspension seems ok riding around town. Actually took it "off road" here in Vegas yesterday meaning dirt and gravel. Took it slow and stayed away from the deep gravel spots. Tires are not designed for off roading. Maybe the next set. What I do notice is the scooter when turning seems to fall into the turns. I'm pretty sure I put both forks into the right position in the triple tree. It must be the difference in the size of the springs as you can see from my previous picture has changed the geometry of the weight on the bike. I'm thinking to correct it I would purchase a length of PVC pipe and cut to small segments to take up the difference in size. It isn't much but it does effect the front end. here is something I found. " Tipping the bike forward with less front ride height will reduce rake and, more importantly, trail. This will quicken your bike's steering, but reduce stability. Raising the front of the bike or lowering the rear will lengthen trail, slowing steering but benefiting stability. You can change front ride height by moving the forks in the triple clamps. "

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:18 am

Appreciate the sound thinking and advice......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 pm

Sorry for beating a dead horse of a post, but I finally got around to modifying the progressive springs. Combination of laziness and incredibly hot summer days in Vegas. I checked the length of the fork travel with the wheel off the ground and it was a little over 4 inches. 4 and 1/8 aprox. Then with me sitting on the bike with just my weight of 225 lbs I had 2 3/8 of inch of travel left. I think with the progressive spring being 1 inch shorter then the factory spring I lost some of my suspension travel. So I purchased some 1 inch in diameter pvc and cut off two segments of 1 and 1/8th as a starting point. Had a friend help me compress the springs and put the clips in. I'll button it all up tomorrow morning and check the sag and go for a ride.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:11 am

You certainly aren't boring me with this post. On the contrary, I am amazed at human 'stick-to-it-ness'.
Though I may never do this myself, I am glad someone is.....Food for thought.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Ok, so I buttoned everything up and now with me on the scooter I have 3 and 5/8 inch travel left from the previous 2 and 3/8. That makes sense since I added a 1 and 1/8 piece of pvc and we put in a washer between the pvc and the spring. I think just a 1 inch pvc spacer without a washer would put me at the 1/3rd suspension sag. So I'm about 1/4 of an inch over from having the 1/3 of the travel of the fork from rider sag. Easy to remedy since I purchased a 10 ft section of pvc pipe!
Took it for a short drive and the front end does feel stiff, but I dont have that feeling anymore of the bike wanting to fall into a turn. I need to take it for an extended ride but of course it's 100 out right now. If anything changes I'll let you know.