New Scooter/Dead Battery

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
gigglefeet

New Scooter/Dead Battery

Post by gigglefeet » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:25 am

I was just wondering if it is normal for the battery on a 6 month old sh150 to go dead after 3 weeks of no use.

Went on vakay this summer and came back 3 weeks later only to find the battery dead. That can't be normal right?

I have always felt that after the first couple of days of use that the start/stop killer was taking longer and longer to kick in. i.e. the first week it would take about 1 minute of idle to kill the motor, but today it can take up to 3-5. That can't be normal.

Never been so worried about juice before :
2015 SH150
Honda original Topbox

TommyXP
Staff

Re: New Scooter/Dead Battery

Post by TommyXP » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:47 am

From my own experience: When I purchased a new 2010SH from a dealer, I started having battery issues and discovered that someone had switched-out the original battery and replaced it with one that was not an AGM type (Absorbed Glass Mat).
This size and style of battery is used in many other applications and most are not AGM. Even with the proper battery, I usually seem to get about 2 years of good use before having to replace it. Your mileage may vary.

Also, it seems to me that when you hit the 'Kill' switch it should stop immediately: No IF'S AND'S or BUT'S it should kill it right now........
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

gigglefeet

Post by gigglefeet » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:55 am

Sorry for not being very clear. Replace the word kill switch for idle = (start/stop system) i.e. the system that is supposed to save 5% more gas by killing the motor while waiting on red lights. I always have it on, and when I first got the bike it would kick in on idle after about 1 minute of warm up (from a cold start) but today it kicks in after a couple of minutes not completely sure how long but 2-5 minutes it seems, but surely it's more like 2-3 maybe.

Well at least it feel a lot longer than in the first couple of months.

But is the battery supposed to be empty after only 3 weeks of no use? That is the main issue

and in this vain, what battery chargers do you guys recommend for the winter while the bike gets stored away in the garage.

kind regards,

Robert
2015 SH150
Honda original Topbox

2013SH150i

Post by 2013SH150i » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:20 am

The RC guys I knew would charge their batteries and put them in the fridge, I recall.
Not sure if your Honda scooter battery would be the same chemistry?

waspmike

Post by waspmike » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:22 pm

So in Austria. Charge the battery and leave the scooter outside? :o

Take the battery from the scooter take it inside and get one of these? Or a cheaper one?

http://www.motorradteile-classic-bikes. ... 7qmd3e0253

gigglefeet

Post by gigglefeet » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:38 am

I leave it only outside when I'm using it, but for winter it is safe in the garage. But forgot to put her in before the summer vacation. Still the battery shouldn't be dead after only 3 weeks right?

Anyhow I'm getting a charger as per suggestion. Thanks a lot WaspMike, you are the reason I love this forum.

Like minded people I guess think a like :)
2015 SH150
Honda original Topbox

ScottWally

Post by ScottWally » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:32 pm

Battery Tender brand - get the California spec one over the 'standard' as it has more high tech features for just a few $ more (if bought through Amazon it's only about $30). I've never had a new battery die before I've sold the motorcycle or scooter :D The oldest battery in my 'fleet' is about 3 1/2 years old.

I like the California and Oregon model - it uses LED's, doesn't get warm to the touch and is much lighter:

http://www.batterytender.com/Chargers/B ... iency.html

I still have a couple of 'standard' non-California/OR types that work just fine too. I always keep the scooter or motorcycle plugged in the Tender when not riding them.