Buzzing Starter Relay

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
3hundredspartans

Buzzing Starter Relay

Post by 3hundredspartans » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:31 am

Hi All,
New here and first time Honda owner. I have a 2008 SH150i and I am very happy with. I purchased it recently off a mature owner who rarely used it with low kms. The thing is like new. I have ridden it for about 4 weeks now from home to work and back. The only think I had to do is recharge the original Yuasa battery. After that it was starting normally.

I went to start it the other day and couldn't. All I was getting was a buzzing sound from the starter relay. I have fully charged the battery and it reads 12.76V. As soon as I turn the ignition to ON, the starter relay makes a buzzing sound and I don't have any power to anywhere on the scooter, no lights, no blinkers and no horn. I swapped the fuel pump relay and put it in the starter relay position as they are the same and I get the same result. I have checked the fuses and they are all OK. Could it be the ignition barrel/switch? Before I continue looking any further, I would appreciate any leads. Thanks, Frank.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Buzzing Starter Relay

Post by TommyXP » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:30 am

I suspect the Battery. I have had to replace a couple of them over the years and the AGM battery's don't behave like the lead/acid types I was familiar with.
When they decide to 'go' they really go and charging is futile. A little over 2 years good Life has been my experience.
Seems that once you allow it to deeply discharge they are reluctant to being brought back to life.
Try putting your meter across the battery and then try starting.
The needle will probably take-a-dive.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

3hundredspartans

Post by 3hundredspartans » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will check that out. Reading another post on a similar issue and it certainly does look like a new battery is needed. Will update soon. :D

3hundredspartans

Post by 3hundredspartans » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:24 am

Problem sorted. Thanks for the help.

Dead battery had only 3.6 volts when the ignition was turned on, no wonder it wouldn't kick it over.

Bought a new Yuasa battery and all good.

Scarey how it can start one minute and be completely dead the next. :?

Thanks again.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:58 am

I am glad that you resolved the issue. It is a GR8 feeling to have a new battery.
With over 26,000miles on 2 SH's; the battery is the ONLY "issue" I have gladly had to deal with.
Not having any other means to start the SH if the battery 'dies' at some remote location, is my only concern.
I am considering to just drop a new battery in every 2 years and relax......

Enjoy your many rides......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

waspmike

Post by waspmike » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:59 pm

3hundredspartans wrote: Scarey how it can start one minute and be completely dead the next. :?
That is generally how batteries fail. Here in the tropics we are lucky to get 2 years out of any battery!