Final drive oil

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
lazyguy

Final drive oil

Post by lazyguy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:14 am

Book calls for either Hypoid gear oil sae#90 or pro honda GN4 10-30 motor oil. My last change was with gear oil but I have some 10-30 on the shelf now so?? What is everyone using and why?

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Final drive oil

Post by TommyXP » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:38 am

I use the 90w because I like the trim-able nipple on the bottle and also know not to use any synthetics down there......
My mind won't allow me to use 10w-30.....as if the addition of an extra 60w don't make no difference.
It's probably fine and all the same, but I owe allegiance to myself when given 'choices'.

Other than that, I haven't thought about it much and do recall extensive comments upon this elsewhere here....
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

waspmike

Re: Final drive oil

Post by waspmike » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:53 am

From my point of view it is a gearbox so use gear oil. But you don't need hypoid gear oil as there are no hypoid gears in there.

Gear oil viscosity does not relate to engine oil viscosity. SAE90 GL-4 gear oil is about the same viscosity as 10W-40 motor oil.

The spout bottle argument is about as good a reason as any. You only need about 180ml so don't ride past a Yamaha or Suzuki dealer without popping in they might have 100ml bottles.