Sump plug stuck

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
rainbowwalker

Sump plug stuck

Post by rainbowwalker » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:21 am

Hi all, went to change the oil yesterday and managed to round the nut with a socket trying to get the sump plug off. Not sure if the last person (me) to change the oil over tightened it, but either way I cant think of how to remove the sump plug.

Anyone had this, and found a solution ?

Thanks in advance.

RBW.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Sump plug stuck

Post by TommyXP » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:18 am

Sorry to hear that.
The torque value on the plug is 'supposed' to be only 15ft-lbs and its all aluminum which is soft.
The seal depends upon the O-ring more-so than metal to metal contact, as in the old-days with cast iron and stamped sheet-metal.
If it was me, I'd clean the area well and try to get a set of vice grips solidly clamped to it vertically, and then put a large adjustable wrench around the vice-grips horizontally and twist.....
Failing that, I'd use a chisel upon the top of the plug, angled in the direction (CC) of removal.
Order a new plug and some O-rings before you start. They are inexpensive.....
Take your time and don't become aggravated......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Custodian

Post by Custodian » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:12 pm

I used one of these from Irwin tools...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Patrick
Southern Illinois
2010 Honda SH150i
OEM windshield & top box
Boss Audio MCBK400
Givi Inner Liner Bag
Michelin City Grip tires

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:47 pm

That tool looks the nuts...
As its ally... carefully file some flats back on if you can, and get a good long adjustable on it as Tommys, or may be some stilson pipe pliers that tighten as you twist... if all else fails go down the chisle route...
Had to do the chisle job on a suzuki alternator nut cover...

Get a good fitting 6 wall socket for next time... not a dodgy 12 point star socket...

rainbowwalker

Post by rainbowwalker » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:03 am

Custodian wrote:I used one of these from Irwin tools...
Oh, I might need to get one of these sockets, thanks as didnt realise such a thing existed !

Took it to the dealer in the end, although despite asking them to order a new sump nut when booking it in, they gave me some excuse about the replacement sump nut being cross threaded (what they really meant was that they forgot to order it). They then replaced the mangled one, and filled it with oil before giving me the chance to say wait and order a new nut.

Oh well, at least its sorted for another year (I only do about 1K per year, so the next oil change will be 12 months time).

RBW.