Seat height

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
NADman

Seat height

Post by NADman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:59 am

Well it's almost spring here in the Great White North. Going to install the battery I have been babying all winter in the next few days. I have a new drive belt, rollers and sliders (all stock Honda) to install also. Not to worried about the bike's reliability or performance but my new girlfriend is 4-5 inches shorter than me and even I can't quite "flat foot" at a stop. Been searching this and other forums and on the 'net' and haven't found any solutions to this common problem.
I had the seat 'shaved' last summer and that didn't help much except for the sliding forward problem. My manual shows that I can't slide the forks up.
I'd really like to bring down the seat height about 2-3+ in.
I will have the seat reshaved as much as possible but I don't think that will do it.
Is cutting springs an option?
I have noticed on the newer-2015- models, the seat seems to look narrower and more pointy at the front.

I had someone offer me a 400 Burgman and take my beloved SHi in trade but I really didn't want to lose the light weight, nimbleness, flat floor and fuel ecc. Plus the extra 100 lbs. (we are both in our 60's)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By the way-a welcome to all new members.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Seat height

Post by TommyXP » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:09 am

Easy........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

NADman

Post by NADman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:08 pm

Great. We'll both get a pair and go to a KISS concert.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:28 am

Geez, I'm awfully disappointed that others didn't respond and offer any suggestions on how it might be possible for you to make some Major-Major 'changes' to the basic structure of your most favorite-favorite ride; all for the sake of the Love of a Woman.
This, places you in the same league as some of our greatest mythic Hero's and you should consider some of the world shaking feats they'd accomplish just for a simple kiss!

I have no experience to offer but went looking for Idea's anyhow; found none, but hit upon a personal realization that I had been unknowingly living with and you alluded to.

I am 6'1", have shaved the seat, and have never been able to sit "flat-footed" either; as is natural and comfortable on any 'motorcycle'.
During this mornings 2-hour outdoor cession of watching the Sun rise, it 'dawned' on me that on a motorcycle one is practically directly-over the 'center-line' of gravity.....whereas on our scoots, we are well forward of the C.L. and prevented from ever being flat-footed without major contortions or standing up.....
It's just the way Life is in the outlands of Scooterdom.

I'd still recommend the above 'shoes' for the Lady's comfort; unless it makes you 'Shorty' or she is afraid of heights.
And as for you, merely the addition of some 'taps' and 'cleats' to your normal footwear for slight extended height and for creating Sparks at night when cruising with tender arms about you......
She'll be surprised and delighted with your daring cavalier style!
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

PapaLima

Post by PapaLima » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:48 pm

In Europe we have special boots for ladies:

http://www.daytona.de/index.php?page=858

I suppose platform shoes is not a that bad idea after all.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip."
Winston S. Churchill

hdsteal

Post by hdsteal » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:13 am

I know this is an old post, but for those in need:

I've adjusted the shocks & on some bikes this helps w/"lowering" the scoot a bit.
Again, it's dependent upon bottoming out/comfort/safety
150i