Belt sounds, What to do?

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
gigglefeet

Belt sounds, What to do?

Post by gigglefeet » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:13 am

I started noticing a sound coming from the belt drive, a squeeky sound.

when I start the bike from cold and take off it squeeks and feels like the belt is not being gripped by the rollers and then suddenly it grips and the sound stops immidiately and the bike runs smooth like nothing happend.

After it is warm the problem stops.

I was wondering if this could be related to oil change and/or final gear oil change?

p.s.

This is making me a bit nervous because I decided to service the bike my self, because I did not want to pay an arm and a leg for it. And now I'm thinking was it my fault after the last service I did? ahhhhh help

Any input would be much appreciated

Robert
2015 SH150
Honda original Topbox

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Belt sounds, What to do?

Post by TommyXP » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:02 pm

Changing the oil or gear lube is totally isolated from the belt-case and not a concern.
How many miles do you have the bike thus far, as the belt is good for 15,000 miles.
Do you have a Factory Service Manual; which would be handy to dig deeper.
Doesn't sound like major concern to myself and could just be related to the huge seasonal/climate change we are in the midst of.......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

gigglefeet

Post by gigglefeet » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:37 pm

TommyXP wrote:Changing the oil or gear lube is totally isolated from the belt-case and not a concern.
How many miles do you have the bike thus far, as the belt is good for 15,000 miles.
Do you have a Factory Service Manual; which would be handy to dig deeper.
Doesn't sound like major concern to myself and could just be related to the huge seasonal/climate change we are in the midst of.......
ok so just a little slack then, I have done 4660 miles.

Should I tighten up the belt? Or is this a no worrie kind of thing?

Robert
2015 SH150
Honda original Topbox

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:44 pm

You really can't tighten the belt without replacing somethings......
I am not familiar with this sort of problem and am not certain what it could be......
I, would just pay attention to see if the problem is worsening and then get deeper into it........
Keep us posted.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

lazyguy

Post by lazyguy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:55 am

There is a belt air cleaner that has to come off to adjust the valves, make sure that is clean. Also you can take off the belt cover and look at the belt and blow out any dust, that might be giving you problems? specs. on the belt with are standard 22.5 mm and service limit is 21.5 mm. Hope this helps.

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:45 am

As mentioned... likely to be a bit of dust build up...
If you remove the front cover variator cover you may be able to give it a quick blow out with an air line
There may also be a hole in the cassings towards the rear by the gear oil drain and fill by clutch

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:13 am

This may be caused by a "hanging" driven variator, the rear one near the rearwheel.
If this part moves irraticly the belt tension will variate and it may slip until the whole mechanism has done a few movements in and out and the little remaining grease is dispersed and becomes loose and smooth again,accelerating a few times up to 35 will usually do it.

It has a helical pin and guide which needs to be cleaned and lubricated at some interval, this is a normaly a job for a mechanic, you need some big tools,a big vice,special tools and preferable a second pair of hands.
This is do-able in the shed with dads toolbox but you may need to buy a big (wrench) socket and some other stuff like the grease,cleaning solvent(petrol) and you will definatly need a second pair of hands to help you.

----->WATCH OUT FOR THE SPRING!<--------
You WILL end up at the hospital if youre not carefull with dismanteling this thing.

The grease needs to be a NLG-3 which is much thicker compared to normal nlg-2 bearing grease and to the specified amount, 5 gram in the needle bearing and 5 in the helical , dont overfill and dont use nlg2 or it will leak out and destroy your clutch shoes.
Check after 50 miles and a high speed run to make sure no grease is leaking out on your clutch.

Another cause for a slipping belt can be a leaking crankshaft seal, if you can see any oil or grease like substance anywhere in the beltcase your seal is probably leaking., the dust inside the belt case should be removable with compressed air, if the dust sticks together and can be smeared out to a grease spot is another indication of a leaking seal.
Although rare this does happen sometimes even with relativly new/low mileage scooters, when servicing the variator the seal can be knocked quite easily out of alignment after which it slowly starts weaping, a new seal can be placed without having to dismantle the whole engine, behind the variator it is held in place by a metal plate and some screws, you cant reuse the old seal, use a new one.

[edit] looking again at your post, the hanging driven variator seems to be less logical as your mileage is not very high, theres always the chance of new stuff breaking down(perhaps not enough grease aplied at the factory) but some other reason seems more logical.
I am wondering if you may have a "stuck/square" roller problem, in that case the first few miles, especially in cold and wet weather the first few meters you take off the bike accelerates normally but then at about 10-15 mph it keeps on going higher in revs and higher and higher until at some point it launches forward and the engine behaves normally, its like being stuck in first gear and then a sudden shift to normal driving.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.