Replacing Visor (Factory Small Windshield)

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
davidjosborn

Replacing Visor (Factory Small Windshield)

Post by davidjosborn » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:21 am

I have a damaged visor and I need to replace it. I don't yet have a service manual, and I'm concerned about removing the mirrors and the handlebar covers without damaging anything. I've read through everything I can find here, but I'd really appreciate more detailed instructions. I'm particularly concerned about the threads on the mirrors. For example, which side has left-hand threads? Thanks so much!

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Replacing Visor (Factory Small Windshield)

Post by TommyXP » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:40 am

The mirrors each screw into an 'adapter' that screw into the handlebar itself. It is a little 'strange' how they come apart and go back together, but it works. Try realizing that the mirrors are removed with the adapters in-place as one assembly. This is due to the windscreen being 'in-the-way'........

The small nut on the mirror stem is for locking in position/adjustment and must be loosened first. You can verify which direction to turn this nut also, by looking at the thread-direction on the mirror stem itself (slightly visible).
Place the appropriate sized wrench on the small nut and another on the silver-colored "adapter" nut merely to hold it in position and apply pressure in the opposite direction to the small locking nut (depending on which side). Back this nut off as far as it will go along the mirror stem.

On the Left-side the 'adapter' is screwed into the handlebar 'normally' (right-hand thread) and the mirror is screwed into it the opposite (left-hand thread).
On the Right-side the 'adapter' is screwed into the handlebar 'left-handedly' and the mirror is screwed into it 'normally' (right-hand thread).
Cheez, this is simpler to actually do than the explanation portrays, me thinks.....

The real tricky part is upon re-assembly!
You have to just barley 'start' the adapter upon the mirror threads and then align the adapter threads with the handlebar so as to begin threading almost immediately, for as you turn the adapter into the handlebar you will also be winding up the mirror thread too and if the adapter threads don't engage almost immediately you will run out of mirror thread and not be able to adjust...
Yikes another bunch of words that complicate a seemingly simple procedure. Plan on doing this more than once until you get the idea that was tried to be expressed in the words above......Reality: when you turn the adapter into the handlebar you will also be turning the mirror into the adapter, and IF you don't start the adapter into its mating tread quickly, you will run out of mirror thread and not be able to adjust or tighten it.....Clear as mud.....I feel at the moment......

I also applied Never/anti-sieze to all threads upon re-assembly.....
If you have any questions I will try again to explain better.......Good Luck!
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

davidjosborn

Re: Replacing Visor (Factory Small Windshield)

Post by davidjosborn » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:39 pm

Thanks so much! I believe this is exactly the detail I needed! It will still be a while until the new visor arrives, but if I need any additional information I will definitely ask.