Gear Oil change mistake.

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
bunny999

Gear Oil change mistake.

Post by bunny999 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:06 pm

Hello,
Just done a basic service on a 2012 SH125 - engine oil and spark plug OK but miss-read the Gear Oil quantity.
Ran it for about 13 miles with 100 - 110 ml of oil in. Maybe 2 miles at high speed. Manual says 190ml. No wonder it wasn't trickling out of the fill hole. Any idea if I've damaged anything? It sounded OK when I arrived home. Many thanks.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Gear Oil change mistake.

Post by TommyXP » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:04 pm

All things being considered and If it were me, I would consider it "water under the bridge" and be happy that I realized the short-fall in good-time.
Chances are that gear surfaces remained bathed and the total quantity at proper fill level keeps the oil 'cool' under maximum extreme conditions; maybe.
Honda and we, would have been better off if they had just specified "Fill to over-flowing"; but noooo, the geeks had to be literally specific and prove to their 'boss' that they did their homework (as it should be).
I am wondering how you discovered your 'mistake' as most people are not as conscientious, especially once a task is thought complete.....
Live and Learn.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

bunny999

Post by bunny999 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:28 am

Tommy,
Hopefully you're right. There was no suggestion of anything seizing up. Teach me to read manuals. I think it was because I'd put in over 100ml and still nothing dribbled that I felt something was wrong. Instinct I suppose. Thanks again.

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:09 am

I would drain and refill...
part 'penance', part 'now done properly' and confidence for next time ;-)