Bike won't start in mornings but will at noon.

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
Michele

Bike won't start in mornings but will at noon.

Post by Michele » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Been having problems with my 150i. She won't start in the mornings but will start a few hours later. The clock will come on when the key is turned but the MIL light doesn't come on and you can't hear usual little whine. I come home at lunch and she fires right up. The techs atthe dealership a a bit stumped as well. It is a bit cool in the mornings bit not freezing.
Any ideas?
Ride a Sh150 - 15,000+ miles
And a CTX700D - 16,000+ miles

Mikey

Re: Bike won't start in mornings but will at noon.

Post by Mikey » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:14 pm

The whine you hear when you turn the key in the ignition is the fuel pump charging up I believe. It is a strange problem. The cheapest solution would be replace the battery. When cold the battery does not produce as much voltage. Try taking the battery in the house and keeping it warm. If it still happens then it's not the battery. You did not say if the vehicle cranks in the morning.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:37 am

Check the tightness of the battery connections....Bet you can tighten them at least a half a turn.
If not, as stated above, focus on the battery......If you have yet to replace since new, you are probably due.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Michele

Post by Michele » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:18 am

I have a new battery in her and they just did a full check up on her. I had a problem when I pick her up from the new tires and servicing with the moter crapping out on a bridge. She wouldn't start right then. The shop came out ato get the bike and she started righ up. They rode her down the road a ways and she crapped out on them as well. Took her back to the shop and never had any problems after that.
Now she just won't get the fuel pump going on cool to cold mornings. I am wondering if it's the E15 gas we have here.
Ride a Sh150 - 15,000+ miles
And a CTX700D - 16,000+ miles

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:39 am

A number of questions come to mind, so bear with me, as you may find some of them laughable, as I do not 'know'.
So, it seems the bike 'cranks' but will not start?
What 'servicing' was performed when you had the tires installed?
When you turn the ignition 'ON', do you wait the couple seconds it takes for the engine light to extinguish before cranking?
When you were wondering about the E15 gas you have 'here', I naturally looked to the left below your user name and noticed that you didn't happen to fill in 'Location' in your user profile. Knowing 'here' helps one determine the climatological conditions you exist under and also affords a glimpse at the possible size of the 'stealership' you are dealing with. It has been my experience that at the larger stealerships, the guy that really knows what is really going-on mechanically, is in charge of lesser 'grunts' doing the leg work. So, something as simple as "Is the spark-plug correct and is it gapped properly" now enters the conversation. One of the joys of learning to do ones own simple maintenance, is that IF there is an oversight or screw-up; the culprit is within slapping-distance.....
Good Luck, stay with it. It is resolvable...
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:17 am

It would really help if you had the Honda Service Manual for the bike. I think if your not hearing the whirring sound at startup something is keeping the fuel pump from engaging. If the vehicle is deprived of fuel, the parts that that are included in the system are Ignition switch, engine coolant sensor, O2 sensor, bank angle sensor,fuel pump relay, fuel pump, fuel injector, and throttle body which also houses the ECM and throttle position sensor, all one piece. It's difficult to determine what it is doing if your not there. Can you pull the spark plug in the morning to see if it is soaked in fuel? That means you are getting fuel but no spark. Maybe even check the fuse box. Always check the easy things first that doesn't cost any money to do.
Also intermittent problems are a bitch. The worse problems are it will work sometimes and not others. No one likes to get stranded.