SH125i bar end mirrors

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
bunny999

SH125i bar end mirrors

Post by bunny999 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:10 pm

Quick question - has anyone ever put bar end mirrors on an SH125I, please?
Thanks.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: SH125i bar end mirrors

Post by TommyXP » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:25 am

I wonder too........There must be another maverick 'out-there' here.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

bunny999

Post by bunny999 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:46 am

It would seem probably not.
And now we know why.
Rather than put removable bar end weights on the bars, Honda has decided to weld lumps of solid bar into the bar ends.
So the only way to get bar end mirrors on is to remove these.
Annoying but not impossible.
Careful drilling seems to be an option.
Comments?
Thanks.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:33 am

A fuzzy memory; but I recall attempting to 'fill-in' the gaping holes that are in handle grips of the 2010SH with 'neat' inserts, thinking to increase the efficacy of the grip-heaters I had installed, by creating a 'warm' chamber rather than an icy thoroughfare; and was unable to perform this seemingly simple task, and the inserts still reside inside the top of one of the tool-chests 'on-the-back-burner'... There might even be two different styles/methods there, but I am afraid to look, as I am not desirous to re-kindle the feeling of regret nor utter waste.

I recall a major problem especially on the throttle or 'starboard'-side to you 'boaters' and 'sailors' (Wind Fairies!), due to the design of the throttle-grip (a tube inside a tube w/a sliding sleeve?) that; at that stage of what little ingenuity I possessed; wasn't able to 'work-around'-it, even after hours of grueling foreplay.....
I ended up 'eating' the inserts and trimming and cementing a couple of round deep-blue reflectors onto the ends; and though 'cheesy' lookin', I called it a day e'en till now....

I will venture to guess that the matter lies in just what 'price' of exertion one is willing to pay to satisfy an often whimsical notion, and I wouldn't want to be you after carefully drilling and grinding away your present barrier and then to be confronted with this can-of-worms...Talk about escaping goblins only to be caught by wolves, as Tolkien would say....
My, how frustrating I can imagine that to be and I would have to avoid myself for quite sometimes there-after as the self-induced madness slowly dissipated with Time and fortified 'spirits'.....

None-the-less, I do not wish to discourage your venturesome nature and prevent you from mentally gnawing on this. In all probability, there was a simple solution staring me right in the face at the Time, but the Reality I allowed to develop obscured it and didn't allow 'it' to penetrate 'through' and manifest itself....
Best of Luck, days and wishes to you, now and evermore.

bunny999

Post by bunny999 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:38 am

Well, it can be done.
Please see photos.
If you are cursed with bars with welded insets, you’ll need a 17mm drill bit, about a 5mm drill bit to make a pilot hole and a drill with variable speeds.
Measure as accurately as you can the centre of the insert, drill a pilot hole and follow with the 17mm bit to a depth of about 25mm or as long as the mirror stems are.
Slow, careful drilling is required.
The bars will get hot so on the RHS drill and stop to let it cool before you melt the plastic throttle.
I put new Rental grips and grip puppies on as well as the mirrors, but you could get away with just cutting out the ends of the original grips and throttle tube to give access to the bar end insert.
Again, be aware that the bars will get hot so don’t melt the grips!!
I think it’s worth it, after having tried and failed to replace the original mirrors with longer stem mirrors that I can actually see out of. Maybe the bar end mirrors are a bit small and a bit too convex, but there are certainly no blind spots any more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:12 am

Nice work and thank you for taking the Time to share and inspire the less imaginative....
Ain't it amazing how one can take an idea out of the aether and manifest it into this realm?
Those with faith/ability are like onto gods!
Enjoy your 'new' rides........