Valve adjustment torque setting

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
Thos

Valve adjustment torque setting

Post by Thos » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:46 am

I have a late 2014 150SHi. I plan to check and adjust the valve clearances which I gather are .006" (inlet) and .010" (exhaust) when cold. Does anyone know what torque setting should be used to tighten the tappet nut on the clearance adjuster? I am used to working on larger engines where the metal work is more substantial and the tappet nuts and threads are very forgiving of overenthusiastic attention!

Regards

Thos

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Valve adjustment torque setting

Post by TommyXP » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Thos, The manual for the 2010 SH150, which has identical clearances to those you specified and reads:

Adjustment Screw lock nut:

Torque: 10 N-m (1.0kgf-m, 7 lbf-ft.

I would be interested to know how many miles and what you discover the clearances to be, if you should find the Time......

Also, I would be attentive to the valve cover bolt torques even more-so, as I broke one off in the block once while using a torque-wrench (before reaching limit), but believe I made a mistake in converting in/lb to ft.lb, but then again, it didn't take much.

Cover Bolts Torque: 12N-m (1.2 kgf-m, 9 lbf-ft)
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:15 am

Remember... with Torque Settings that the number is for dry threads (unless otherwise stated - such as a drop of oil on the variator nut etc) and in good condition...
If you use coppa-slip or grease (which i do as i cant stand a seized bolt!) the setting can be way to high - for casing bolts etc i just tend to nip em up... but this is only out of experience and handling smaller fasteners...
Torques settings are more critical for balancing a load - break disk bolts / cylinder heads etc - correct torque is important-ish allowing for tolerance and discrepancy and all that - but a consistency across all fasteners more so..
Rounded M6 brake rotor bolts and stripped wheel threads spring to mind - along with the Timecert or Helicoil remedy that followed.
Nip em up - two fingers at the end of a ring spanner tight
Would also be interested at mileage at clearance - now at 12500 and yet to check em - all sounds fine and dandy...

Thos

Post by Thos » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:42 am

Thanks for the replies and the information.

I have currently done 21500km from new, The dealer has done a service every 4000km (although I change the oil at the 2000km points in between - oil is the cheapest mechanic!)
The clearances were checked at 8000km by the dealer and found to not need adjustment. Since then he has not made any checks other than by listening and has not seen a need to make any adjustments. But it is out of the 2 year warranty now and I can do my own servicing so I want to be certain the clearances are OK - I think I can hear a slight "sewing machine" noise.

I will probably do this at 22000 km in July and will let you know the outcome.

Regards

Thos
Island of Gozo
Republic of Malta

Thos

Post by Thos » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:34 am

At last I have got round to checking the valve clearances at 23000 Km (about 14000 miles). They were a little tight but I guess in tolerance. This was the first adjustment since new.

Thos

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:12 am

Good news. I am always impressed when I take the Time to check and discover NO wear. Thank you for using the best of treated alloys in heavy wear area's, Mr. Honda.
Better to be on the tight-side and allow for eventual wear; especially in the case of getting lackadaisical in the oil change department if one should get 'gun-shy' due to oil-plug problems... ;)
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.