Fuel Pump Problem

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
Thos

Fuel Pump Problem

Post by Thos » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:52 am

My 2014 (22000Km) SH150i has developed what I believe is a fuel pump problem. Basically, it won';t start!!
When the ignition is switched on I no longer here the few seconds of whirring from under the seat which I presume is the fuel pump pressurising the injection system. I hope this is only an electrical supply problem rather than a duff (expensive and takes ages to get here in Malta) pump. Anyone else experienced this problem or has any suggestions before I start taking things apart and trying to find a wiring diagram on the web?

Thos

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Fuel Pump Problem

Post by TommyXP » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:06 am

No experience yet but there are a few things any of us can check....
First would be the fuse (10A) and according to the manual the ignition switch and then onto the Fuel Pump Relay. I doubt it is the pump itself.
If you cannot locate a wire diagram or are uncertain as to the location of these items, I have a 2010 manual that we can probably work from and figure this out.....
Let me know.......
The relay is located at the very tail-end of the bike and you must remove the large one piece body cover to access it, and with a meter we can determine if it is the culprit.....
Ready?
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Thos

Post by Thos » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:30 am

The fuel pump was found to be the problem - relays and power supply OK but no results. So I had to replace it - you can buy the filter and the level guage lever/sender separately but if you want the pump you have to buy all three together at huge expense - thanks Honda.

It works now but someone suggested the problem may have arisen because I run the tank to very nearly empty before topping up (simply because that is a nice round 8 Euros at current prices). He felt the pump may be sucking air occasionally and this may not be good for it. Has anyone heard this logic before??

Thanks for the help

Thos

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:10 am

"Has anyone heard this logic before??"

No, but the reasoning might have some validity to it even though it might appear to be a bit of a stretch......
You, by chance, didn't happen to take a meter-reading (Ω's)on the pump before/after did you?
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

NADman

Post by NADman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:07 am

Back when FI vehicles first came out we were always told that the fuel
pump uses the fuel as a coolant because it runs constantly.
If your pump runs in fuel I would suggest to keep enough fuel in
the tank to at least keep it submerged.
Besides--running your tank to empty (or almost) brings up the
age old question 'What if'.

Thos

Post by Thos » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:55 am

Failure occurred at 22000 Km (2 1/2 years old). Disappointing. As to the "what if ...?" comment - the island I live on is only 16Km long and nowhere is more than 6 Km from a petrol pump complete with out-of-hours (most of the time!) dispensers. I always keep an emergency 10 Euro note hidden on the bike. The problem then becomes one of memory as old father time comes my way! In any case I am now filling up before the red section i.e. 7 Euros

Thanks for al your help.

Thos