Tyre Change or Tire Change across the pond

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
SH125Paul

Tyre Change or Tire Change across the pond

Post by SH125Paul » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:01 pm

Swing Arm... Swinging Arm... Aluminum... Aluminium - and all that!

Mavelous peoples of SHcooter
You assistance and understanding is required...
2015 SH and no Service Manual available to those in the U of K - Its all Dealer Only on Line...

So, 14,000 miles nessistates a change of rear rubber, gonna do the front to match...

Any experiance, advice and numbers would be most helpful - done other scoots but every little helps...
Torque settings for exhaust mountings, swing arm to engine plate, rear axle nut, caliper bolts, sensor bolts, brake hose union mounting, muffler head bolts, and similar for the front, axle, caliper to fork mountings, spindle...

What do you know? What have ya got?
Gonna delve in to 'search' to improve my understanding - but someone's take on the matter would be most welcome...

Ride On.. It's what they were made for!

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Tyre Change or Tire Change across the pond

Post by TommyXP » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:08 pm

Here are some specs for the 2010 SH if that helps.....

Front Brake Caliper mounting bolts: 30 N-m (3.1 kgf-m, 22 lbf-ft)
Front axle nut: 68 " (6.9 " 50 "

Swing arm bolts: 49 N-m (5.0 kgf-m, 36 lbf-ft)
Rear axle nut: 118 " (12.0 " 87 "
Shock to swingarm: 27 " (2.8 " 20 "

Exhaust stud bolts: 9 " (0.9 " 6.6 "
Pipe joint nut: 29 " (3.0 " 21 "
Muffler mounting bolt: 49 " (5.0 " 36 "
O² sensor: 44 " (4.4 " 32 "

Column numbers were all aligned when typed BUT come out looking like this ↑
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:38 am

Thanks for the info...

Wheels out in about 45 mins - first time with the SH...
2 Tyres / Tires - Michelin City Grips fitted to loose rims at Watling Tyres - £100
Spent a couple of hours putting 'em back in, cleaning and re-greasing as i went..
Job done -
Gonna get some puncture safe type tyre sealant so i don't hopefully have to take em out for another 18 Months / 15000 miles-ish
Last edited by SH125Paul on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:20 am

When I got rid of the original Dunlops and switched to City Grips, I noticed a huge difference in handling characteristics......You?

SH125Paul

Post by SH125Paul » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:10 am

So after about 100 miles or so bedding in the Michelin City Grips.. Running the same Honda Handbook recomended pressures of 25 psi (1.8 Bar) F and 30 psi (2.0 Bar) R...

The OE Fit for the UK on the 2015 SH were IRC SS-530's - http://www.irc-tire.com/en/mc/products/scooter/ss-530/ - Quite a reasonable tyre - just shy of 14000 miles on the rear ...

I find the Michelin feel a little softer - as in under inflated - but that may just be the feel of a softer compound rubber, tread style and back to a new / full tread depth on the road...
This is felt partcularly from the front, and stronger at standstill when moving the handle bars side to side.
From a ride perspective (bearing in mind the slight under inflated feel from the front) the feel is that the carcase is of a stronger construction, with the sensation that the ride works the initial compression of the suspension (Front and Rear) more - which is a firmer but overall more progressive feel...
As for the Handling - the rear was down to the markers, and the front although had plenty of life left in it, now has a 'as-new' profile - felt a little vague at first - but new fronts often do untill the release agent is worn of, the surface scuffed, and turning in on a as-new profile re-learnt. So Cornering is much improved with a rear profile rather than being squared-off.

Any of the above make sense?
Something initialy feeling Softer (under inflated) but Firmer (Carcass Construction)...
Plusher and Firmer at the same time as the tyre now feels like it works the initial suspension travel more compared with initial absorbtion of bumps coming from the deflection of the softer (feeling) carcass of the older make (or just older...) tyre...
Both makes of tyre are the same Speed Rating (P), and more relevant to feel, Load Index (50 F and 60 R)

Will check re-check the pressueres... when fitted by the tyre shop they were left at sports bike pressures 32 F and 36 R!

I've also got Mich City Grips on the '13 XMax400 - They were the OE fit tyre and now at 24,000 miles on the second front and third rear - Rear Changes were down to punctures / splits that could not be fixed...
Last edited by SH125Paul on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:09 am

Nice evaluation......Amazingly, I was able to seamlessly follow what you were attempting to say;
as you oscillated between what your senses were 'telling' you and what your Mind was able to
re-interpret into this other realm for the benefit of the less sensitive amoungst us.
You can relax now and enjoy the ride.....

BeerPed

Post by BeerPed » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:19 am

SH125Paul wrote:Thanks for the info...

Wheels out in about 45 mins - first time with the SH...
2 Tyres / Tires - Michelin City Grips fitted to loose rims at Watling Tyres - £100
Spent a couple of hours putting 'em back in, cleaning and re-greasing as i went..
Job done -
Gonna get some puncture safe type tyre sealant so i don't hopefully have to take em out for another 18 Months / 15000 miles-ish
15000 miles !!! I get just 5000 out of my Pirelli rears. Time to switch to Michelins maybe... Interesting. Thanks
No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it. (Albert Einstein)