Oil strainer cap

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
Thos

Oil strainer cap

Post by Thos » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:53 am

I have had a few problems with the oil strainer cap on the left side of the crankcase. This is just a warning to those who have not yet come across this issue.

I do a "private" 2000Km oil change in between the 4000Km changes which are done by my dealer. I have no idea how he tightens the cap which holds the oil strainer and spring in place but on one occasion when I next came to remove it I could not shift it before the soft alloy hexagon became a circle. Took much help to get it off - used a sharp chisel and hammer on the circumference of the cap. Got a new one from a UK dealer (they are sold as Tappet covers!). I make sure that I adhere to the correct torque. but as I tightened the new one up the cap sheared off the threaded section which remained in the bike. Fortunately it was a loose fit and I was able to get it out easily.

So got yet another new cap and fitted that successfully only to find that after the next dealer service I could not shift it when it came round to my 2000Km oil change. Once again I ended up with a round hexagon!. Out came the hammer and chisel and it was successfully removed.

This time I bought 2 new spare caps.

Moral to this story: The caps are not very strong. Carry spares! If you give it to a dealer to remove just make sure he torques it up properly (details in the owners handbook). When you get the bike back, loosen the plug and do it up again to be sure it is OK and before it has time to settle into a locked state. I have found that the cap seals perfectly at less than the recommended torque so I am now doing it hand tight plus an 1/8th turn like a spark plug.

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Oil strainer cap

Post by TommyXP » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:01 am

Wow!
Seems like everything that could go wrong happened down there. Considering your resolve in overcoming these aggravations I am a little astounded that you aren't performing these simple operations yourself, as you are probably more highly qualified than most of the service personnel who are relegated to these minor tasks at the stealerships. When a new guy off the street comes in, not knowing a box-wrench from a tulip, this is where they start them off IMHO.....

I just changed my oil yesterday and it was a pleasant experience. I make it a point to take a moment and break-out the smaller of the 2 torque-wenches, that are always delicately wrapped and stored at the zero setting.
After inserting a NEW o-ring every time (seems a waste but I no longer question Honda's wisdom), I convert the 15ft/lb specification to 180in/lbs and after the amazing light and simple 'click'; never look back or concern myself over the vagaries of our ever changing sense of touch; either due to 'hang-over' or raging hormones.....
I haven't always done it in this fashion but discovered it is the most soothing way to go (note: 'sooth' means Truth or Reality! Sign me up!)

Your experience and warnings are of value to others and thanks for taking the Time to share.
Though I appreciate the 'feeling' one gets (that they are doing the best thing) by having the 'pro's' at the stealership doing ones service work; the Times-they-are-achanging, and vulture capitalism with its sole uncompromising intent on profit, has rendered such old-fashioned sentiments a fallacy and good enough reason for me NOT to have my Lady molested and defiled by brutes.....
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.