Made a emergency seat opener today

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
Mikey

Made a emergency seat opener today

Post by Mikey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:47 pm

I found out on the Burgman forum there is some issues with opening the trunk on the 400. Corrosion on the cable, cable stretching, but mostly leaving their keys in the cavernous trunk and locking them in. I thought I could use this on my SH since the cable is 8 years old and we need to open the trunk to gas up! So I purchased some 18 inch steel braided fishing leads from Wallmart. They come in 12, 18 and 24 inch, a pack of 6. Same price about $2.50. I had to remove the trunk/engine cover and I did remove the 2 10mm bolts on the lock assembly since I was all thumbs trying to loop the lead over the cable holder. Finally did that, ran it next to the seat and it works perfect. Better yet, the regular lock opener still works too! Was worried what would happen when I closed the seat. I have pictures too. If you have any questions let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mikey on Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Re: Made a emergency seat opener today

Post by Mikey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:02 pm

You have to remove the red plastic lock clip, remove the cable from the pin and slide the fishing lead on the inside. Once you put the lock cable back it holds everything in place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mikey on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:04 pm

more pictures

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:06 pm

Easy to access under the lip of the seat. Left it out to show you where the 18 inch lead runs to. maybe I should have lubed the cable when I was in there but its not hard to get to.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:59 am

Good idea and I hope I follow through and do this little project.
The ignition switch/seat unlock continues to function so very smoothly that I might forget and sorely regret it at some distance future date......
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.