Sudden death on the expressway!

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
Mikey

Re: Sudden death on the expressway!

Post by Mikey » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:55 am

The problem with the SH150 is it only came out for one year in the U.S. That is a very short run. Elvis, I dont know what your options will be but there are some decent scoots on the market. The Yamaha S-Max 150, The Suzuki Burgman 200. Also Kymco and Sym make good scoots. They are Taiwan companies not mainland China. I picked up a left over 2016 Suzuki Burgman 400 this year. There are a lot of low mileage used ones on the market. People buy them and don't drive them.

My Burgman 400 has 62 liters of storage under the seat. With my Givi 46 liter top trunk I have a total of 108 liters of storage not counting the front glove compartment and two top pockets. The new Goldwing has 110 liters of storage.

Hold on to the SH until a parts bike shows up. Just a suggestion.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:36 am

A lot of good suggestions BUT you are over-looking the fact that Elvis has a 'back-up' SH (as I do too) to consider before opting-out to less desirable, 'possibly' fundamentally inferior though useful means of lugging ones meat around.
With the luxury of a back-up and Time, I don't believe we've seen the last of the potential usefulness of this particular bike yet by far.....

Edit: I mistook Elvis for Lazy guy who has 2 SH's......Sorry but Elvis saved the day by obtaining another SH!
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm hoping that Honda will someday bring back the SH150i to the US, or a similar under-bone design. I use the deck to carry all sorts of things. It would be great if it were redesigned so that a standard milk crate could fit there.

I don't see why anyone would buy a scooter without a deck, like what Honda currently offers. At that point you might as well buy a regular motorcycle.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:19 pm

On the Burgman the hump in the middle of the deck is for the 3.4 gallon fuel tank. In this way there is more room for storage under the seat. It is a trade off.

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:44 am

After weighing my options, I bought another SH150i.

My original is now surplus. Not sure what to do with it.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:41 am

Congratulations on what I consider a very good move.....Hopefully you have some extra space to save or part-out all the valuable parts there......Some can be extremely valuable to swap when troubleshooting problems.
How many miles on the new?

Elvis

Post by Elvis » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:34 pm

The new one has 190 miles.

I really don't have room to store the old bike. Should I sell it as a salvage, or strip key parts?

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:30 pm

Wow! Good find......
So many valuable parts that 'could' come in handy at one time our another....
I'd take the ECM (Engine Control Module) and ignition coil for starters if you going to junk it.
Knowing paranoid me, I'd start removing 'keepers' and merely end up transferring an assembled pile into an un-assembled pile of equal weight.....
Hopefully the 'break-in' oil has been changed on the new bike and wonder if so, what kind of oil and when it was put in there. I'd change it just to KNOW what I had.......

Thinking: I'd also drain and replace the brake fluid. And drain and replace the engine coolant and replace with some 'Forever' coolant. I'd check the tightness of the battery connectors. I'd remove the two bolts that hold the front brake caliper on and apply Never-Seize to the threads. I'd check the little book that comes with the bike and pay attention to the suggested break-in mileage and behaviour (I forget-500?). Check tire pressure and shock settings. Fill it with good gas and hope the old hasn't been setting to long or remove it. I-me would invest in a "Head Light Modulator" as I have done twice so far. I constantly still notice the atttention-getting effect it has on zombied cage dwellers.
Hopefully others will chime in with helpful suggestions.......Enjoy!

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:34 am

Congratulations on your purchase. Was it local? how much did you pay for an 8 year old model? I'm thinking if your plastics are in good shape on your old bike they may be worth keeping since those could be expensive to replace if the bike goes down. If the tires are new you might want to keep those for your next tire change. CVT belt, battery and air filter if new. The plastic bits would probably sell quick on Ebay at a decent price if you want to deal with that.

lazyguy

Post by lazyguy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:31 am

Elvis: Congrats on your 'new' SH, its always simpler to replace with same if able. Now for the old one, I'd say keep it if at all possible too many valuable parts to just throw away plus a lot easier to troubleshoot any problems.