Oil leak at weep hole

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
lazyguy

Oil leak at weep hole

Post by lazyguy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:31 am

I know this has been covered in the past but I now have my 2nd oil leak! 1st one was at 1,500 miles and covered under warranty, 2nd at 24,000 now I'm doing it. Book says mechanical seal failure and dealer changed that and oil seal along with the shaft and ball bearings so I ordered 2 sets along with gaskets. My other SH is OK at 15,000 knock on wood so who knows whats with the leak.
Reading up on mechanical seals tells me they all fail eventually and any dirt will kill them quick so makes ya wonder why they use them in a engine? Anyway the shaft was backordered so now i wait 2 weeks so they say. Wish i hadn't taken it apart thinking my order would been shipped in full.
Well good thing for two of them I guess?

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Oil leak at weep hole

Post by TommyXP » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:51 am

Sorry to hear and hard to imagine.....Wonder what type of oil you have been using, even though that probably has little bearing(!) on the true culprit; as you and as I, have two SH so as not to feel totally naked when one needs a little R & R(rest and relaxation).
Something is obviously unique and different with this particular alignment and setting or the individual who performed the task the first time didn't exercise all the care and caution when replacing (which is called for in the service manual) and would keep my eyes-peeled upon dis-assembly for any indication of obvious fault as it would be a great relief to see a possible 'reason'.......
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

lazyguy

Post by lazyguy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:31 pm

Just got done changing all the parts. Very dirty in there, don't know why? Only got a little less then a mile test ride as it started to rain, bummer. No leak so far,knock on wood!

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:35 am

Still wonder what type of oil you use.......
Never been 'in' there and wonder how it is 'intended' to be lubricated....
I trust you doing the repair rather than some stealership who's only reason for existence is profit and cheap labor rather than The Art......

lazyguy

Post by lazyguy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:08 am

using honda oil HP-4

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:12 am

Wow! Same type that jharr uses (?) in his unexplainable oil consumption......just makes me Wonder.