Ticking valves question

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
Mikey

Ticking valves question

Post by Mikey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:05 pm

I have about 13,500 miles on my SH150. My valves sound loud. I've adjusted them. The bike starts up and runs fine. Does that sound normal to you guys? I'm wondering if riding longs distances at highway speed was too much for the valve train. Should I just keep riding it like I stole it and worry about it down the road?

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Ticking valves question

Post by TommyXP » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:52 pm

IF the valves are adjusted to spec I'd continue to ride.....Wonder what brand and type of oil you've been using though, just for reference sake?
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:37 am

I just changed it. I purchased a qrt of Honda 10-30 HP4S full synthetic scooter oil from the Honda dealer. Kinda expensive but the bike only needs one quart.

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:53 am

Good recommended oil I suppose.....Personally, I've always used Shell T6 5w-40 @ ~$22 a gallon in both of mine and have heard no clatter, though I still change every 1,000 ~ 1500 miles... Its listed as a heavy duty DIESEL oil but if you drill into the specs you can find - "Designed for virtually all 4-stroke engines, this motor oil can be used on motorcycles, tractor trailers, heavy-duty pickups, school buses and more." For some reason they 'have' to market it as a DIESEL oil BUT I like the factor that its recommended for engines that get the hell used out of them.
I'd still double/triple-check the clearances and hope the noise disappears and still ride her either way.

luxroller

Post by luxroller » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:46 am

Last year i had some problems with my SH and to understand the problem i rode a while without the front engine cover (the plastic piece under the seat) and listened carefully to the engine to understand the problem. Later at Honda a new fuelpump was placed and problem solved, but since the day i was riding a little while without the cover i hear the valves and hear even rattle the little chain :? Of course the cover is replaced but i still hear the valves/distribution when i concentrate on the noise....... Double checked the clearance but the valvechainsound is in my head now a try not to worry about it :lol:
The bike has 45k km.
Anton

TommyXP
Staff

Post by TommyXP » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:11 am

Me too! If I listen hard enough I can hear the whole World falling to pieces......
Harken's back to the old adage: "Believe Nothing You Hear, and Only One Half That You See".....and half of what I see isn't real (in a material sense) BUT closer to the Truth....whilst awaiting the big, ultimate 'tune-UP': Armageddon or valve-train failure; whichever comes first!