Lunging at top speed....belt slippage?

Figure out maintenance issues and discuss modifications
tavery80

Lunging at top speed....belt slippage?

Post by tavery80 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:45 am

Ok, so my 150i has developed an odd tendency to kind of lunge at top speed, particularly down hills at about 70mph, and more recently at slightly less (67?). Could this be actual belt wear - odo is at 13k plus - or just the rear wheel spinning beyond the ability of the crankshaft to keep up, causing the belt to slip within the faces of the variator? And while I'm at it...I weigh about 220 lbs, would the Dr Pulley sliders @ 11 grams be a good fit?

Many thanks....

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Lunging at top speed....belt slippage?

Post by TommyXP » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:13 pm

I doubt that it is the belt unless the bike was used for off-road or other punishing terrain and it is difficult for me to imagine what is going on especially when your dancing around the edges of maximum rated performance. I have no experience with sliders and have always stuck with standard rollers. Hopefully others will chime-in regarding the above two......Sounds like your bike is running happy and strong otherwise.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

breaknwind

Post by breaknwind » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:01 pm

I've used 11g Dr. Pulley sliders. Bike couldn't get out of it's own way. Now I know that if you drop 2g, you need to change the Contra Spring in the rear pulleys about +15%. And 4g drop needs a 30% increase in CS.
I ride my SH with 13g Dr. Pulley sliders. I'm 185 lbs. Otherwise completely stock SH. And I'm regularly running 68mph below 85 deg. f.. 76mph!!! above 85 deg. f. on the flat Florida slab. With light headwinds and moderate traffic.
The no.1 reason I can do this because of my custom wind screen. No time to look up the pic. AND I change the belt and sliders every 10,000 miles, because I can. :twisted: I rebuilt the rear pulleys at 23,000 miles. I replaced front pulleys at 20,000. I never have transmission noises or the lunging at top speed.
If I were spending the money, I would go with the 11g sliders and 15% CS.

ScooterX

Post by ScooterX » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:03 pm

I faced this issue and not sure we are on same page but it went away on my scooter.

- Check spark plug and spark cap , make sure they are tighten and change spark plug if it has more 5000 miles
- Clean oil/grease on front/rear variator , make sure they are clean.
- Correct lock nut with torque wrench settings, if possible , you can change washer/nut to new since it is cheap

Hope this help,
ScooterX