I love my SH150i

Take a moment to introduce yourself, it is required to make at least one post as a new member,members with no posts will be automatically deleted after 2 days.
quadring789

I love my SH150i

Post by quadring789 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Matt and I live in Houston, Texas (year-round 2 wheeling!). I've had the scooter bug for a while...they're fun, cheap, and around here...fairly rare to see one on the road.

When I was 15, I wanted some wheels (powered) sooooo badly. My friend's mother had a 1985 Honda Spree, and she was selling it to move up to an Elite 125 or 150, can't remember which it was. Anyway, I bought the Spree from her for $500; it was only one year old and had 1000 miles on it; it was like new. Off to the DMV to get my moped license. I rode that little black Spree everywhere. We used and abused it...riding 2-up, pulling my brother on his skateboard, taking it 'off-road'...I cannot believe that it survived! One of my favorite memories is filling the tank. It held 0.6 gallon, and back then gas was $1.00 per gallon. So I would pump the gas, then go inside to pay, and the cost was always around 60 cents. The clerks would always laugh and wonder why someone would purchase so little fuel. That's all it held!

I rode that little Spree everywhere. Did silly things like unbolt the muffler/pipe and ride around the neighborhood making all kinds of racket. On the side of the carburetor, there was an adjustment screw that seemed to have no affect on how the motor ran. Oddly enough, with the screw removed, the top speed was increased. It didn't give it more power, it seemed to remove the rev limiter or something. With the screw out, and ducking down for less wind resistance, I could hit 45 MPH! Seriously, this really happened. I can only imagine what the engine RPM was as it screamed along.

Looks like I'm out of space. To be continued...

F800

Re: I love my SH150i

Post by F800 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:12 pm

In the late 80s, I had a Spree also.. 2 stroke 50cc engine. A little smaller than the Elite 50cc 2 stroke, but about the same performance. It was a little down on power, but ran forever. Probably comparable to the Honda Metro 50cc 4 stroke that does an indicated 40mph stock.

When I sold the Metro 50cc and the F800GS, I picked up the SH150i as a replacement.

tpi

Re: I love my SH150i

Post by tpi » Sat May 14, 2011 5:19 pm

My first motorcycle was Honda trail 70 bought used in 1973 or '74. I remember putting it in the trunk of my 1968 Chevy Nova with handlebars folded. I rode it from Tucson to Mt. Lemmon. Gobs of full throttle time. Bulletproof.

I had CB 125 which evidently I rode it too hard, or something was defective about it because the engine seized twice.

In the '80s moved on to larger bikes, Honda CX 500, Suzuki GS 450 and Honda CB750F. I kept the 750 for 15 years.

The SH is my return to motorcyles. Cruises very nicely at 55 mph.