My first scooter

Take a moment to introduce yourself, it is required to make at least one post as a new member,members with no posts will be automatically deleted after 2 days.
Mikey

My first scooter

Post by Mikey » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:59 am

Hi, was going to wait till next yeat to purchase a scooter. Was looking possibly at a Sym HD200 or one of the 2011 Kymcos coming out next year. Honda and Honda of Des Plaines gave me a deal I could not pass up. A 2010 Honda SH150i with the MSRP reduced to $3000.00 with the Honda bonus bucks. Plus 3.99% interest for 36 months. Of course they threw in the fees and our 10% cook county tax but I think I still got a good deal on a quality product. Purchased the Honda top trunk with passenger pad and a quality cover from carscovers so I think I'm set. I also own a 96 Honda ST1100 which is a great road bike but weighing in at 677 lbs is a little big for city stop and go driving.

Picking it up next Tuesday so looking forward to many miles of fun and adventure.

GizmoGal

Re: My first scooter

Post by GizmoGal » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:10 am

Welcome to the forum. good luck with your new bike. Ride safe.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:41 pm

I want to thank the powers that be for a dedicated SH150 chat site. The best place for service, problems and mods.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:59 am

Picked up my scooter yesterday since I'm off of work this week. Coming from motorcycles I was always trying to shift and put my feet behind me! This is definitley the perfect ride for the city. No heat off the engine. Keeps up with traffic easily. I even had it on Lake Shore Drive and had it up to 60 mph(speedo reading) for a short time.

Also I noticed kids love scooters. They are always checking me out when I'm driving by and two little girls came up to me when I was parking and were asking me all kinds of questions about riding one.

My top trunk did not come in and they say it wont be shipped till the end of August which is a major bummer.

Seat gave me a little monkey butt sitting on it for so long but I do have a fleece to throw on it.

Gas gauge did not go to full when I filled it but seemed to stay below the full line.

All in all I'm having a lot of fun driving this and that's what riding a motorcycle and scooter is all about.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:11 am

I have 650 miles on my scooter now. Gas prices in my area is about $3.73 a gallon, so I'm spending about $1.00 of gas for every 20 miles or 5 cents a mile! The SH is a real marvelous commuter! No problem keeping up with traffic. It's a real wonderful vehicle to drive.

spdlmt

Post by spdlmt » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:35 am

$3k is a good deal. We pay twice that in Vietnam :/ Anyway, glad you enjoy the bike.

Scootin2

Post by Scootin2 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:58 am

Glad to hear you went to Desplaines for your scooter. I bought mine there with the same deal, and I couldn't be happier. I had a 1600 Kawasaki Meanstreak, and found it to be alot for local errands too. Prima saddle bags are perfect for the SH150I. Check them out if you need more storage space.
Honda top box
Honda windshield
Buzzetti side stand
Ixil license plate holder
Flash to Pass
Back Off brake modulator
Euro signals
Phillips MotoVision headlight bulb
12 volt socket
Yoshimura stainless exhaust
K & N filter
Dr Pulley sliders

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:09 pm

I have no problem keeping up with traffic on the way to work on Irving Park by Ohara were I reach about 60mph. Very stable with the 16" wheels. Sometimes I start thinking it would be nice with a 200 or 300 cc scooter but I think the SH150i is a good balance of power and fuel economy.

Baysidebob

Post by Baysidebob » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:14 pm

You have the "Goldilocks" ride. Not too much, not too little to suit your needs. Mine gets used almost daily while the other one sits on a battery tender. Top box, equine bags and windshield trimmed to fit make the Sh150i the most useful, if not the most glamorous, motor vehicle I have ever owned. Enjoy!
Honda SH150i
Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec.
My actuary says I'm dead.