New user from Montreal

Take a moment to introduce yourself, it is required to make at least one post as a new member,members with no posts will be automatically deleted after 2 days.
pagemaker

New user from Montreal

Post by pagemaker » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:33 am

Hi,
It has been years since I have ridden a big bike, or one of any size, actually. A few years ago I bought a 49cc Ruckus for tooling around town. It was fun, but inadequate in size, carrying capacity, and power. I was planning to replace it with something bigger.

Most seriously, I have been looking at the Honda Rebel 250: highway-legal but not so big as to be unwieldy around town. But who was I kidding. Arthritis in my right knee and hip make swinging my leg over a saddle painful at best, and at worst, impossible. Riding spread-legged... well that's often agonizing. Once I made my mind up that a step through frame was the way to go, the choice was easy.

Locally, Vespas and Piaggios are just too expensive. The Silverwing and its ilk are also pricey, and just plain heavy. Montreal's major form of traffic control is the stop sign, requiring lots of putting the right, arthritic limb on the ground to support it's almost 600 pounds. Not fun!

Enter the SH. I passed by the local Honda dealer to once again drool over the Rebel, when I saw the SH. One test drive later, I bought it. All this was only 3 weeks ago, in October, pretty well at the end of the riding season.

Anyhow, the dealer threw in free winter storage to sweeten the almost-winter purchase. I still haven't brought it back. As long as the sun is shining, I ride it every chance I get. The average temperature is now around 5-6 degrees C (That's 39-42 f.) I expect to be riding until the snow falls (in about a week, I imagine.) and will probably store it in my apartment garage. What can I say -- it's no 49 cc-er.

strkngfang

Re: New user from Montreal

Post by strkngfang » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:38 pm

Glad you're liking your SH. It is an awesome machine. I ride all winter, as long as there is no Ohio snow. Welcome!
Dan
2010 SH150i & Elite 110

pagemaker

Post by pagemaker » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:05 am

Awesome it is. I spent Sunday afternoon running errands. When I left the house, the temp was around 40 f. When I got back in the evening the mercury was hovering around 28-29 f. Layered clothing and winter-grade leather gloves made the ride a pleasure. Yes, my car has a heater and a great sound system, but the Honda has... 2 wheels. What a ride.

Two bipeds stopped to ask about the SH, admiringly. That makes 4 in the past 10 days. I really wasn't prepared for that. Nobody ever asked about my old Ruckus. All 4 fit the same profile: 55+-ish, and definitely of European background. The SH appears to not be a kid's machine.

A definite dislike. The SH is dark red; at night it looks like black. Definitely a low conspicuity (Is that a word?) vehicle. I would really like some additional side and rear reflectors. Oh well... something to think about over the winter.

And on the subject of winter, should I get the scooter to storage this week, before the snow flies? Environment Canada is calling for rain tomorrow, but clear skies and temps as high as 9C (That's 50 f. for you guys south of the 49th parallel.) from Wednesday to Friday. So... maybe storage next week?

At some point, though, it will be off the road. Even if we have a dry (We've had them like that.) warm (Never have seen those!) winter, Quebec law requires snow tires from Dec 15 to Mar 15. Bikers who scoff that law will be ticketed... $200 a pop!

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:53 pm

I was wandering about that: do "snow tires" for scooters exist?

I drive all year and real snow tires would be a treat!
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:38 pm

pagemaker wrote: Layered clothing and winter-grade leather gloves made the ride a pleasure. !
What brand and model of winter gloves do you wear?
I've been looking at Joe Rocket Nitrogen and Spidi Sport Evo.
thanks
2009 Silverwing 600, black SH150i sold
Winnipeg Canada

pagemaker

Post by pagemaker » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:20 pm

You may not like this one. The gloves are Mark's Work Warehouse Wind River series winter gloves: calf skin, fleece-lined. Not exactly fancy biker's gear, but I have worn them to work outside at -20 to -30 degrees.

bigbird
Staff

Post by bigbird » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:07 pm

pagemaker wrote:You may not like this one. The gloves are Mark's Work Warehouse Wind River series winter gloves: calf skin, fleece-lined. Not exactly fancy biker's gear, but I have worn them to work outside at -20 to -30 degrees.
Hey, if it works then good for you. I was looking for something with some physical protection. I've got lots of warm winter gloves, but none that are armoured.
2009 Silverwing 600, black SH150i sold
Winnipeg Canada

pagemaker

Post by pagemaker » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:05 am

I agree -- armoured are best. I guess the guys who design gloves live in warmer climes than we do -- just like the guys who design hidden windshield wipers have never had to clear a car after a snow storm. But when the temps approach freezing, the chill factor on a bike is well below that. Something has to head off frostbite.