About to buy but some quibbles

Take a moment to introduce yourself, it is required to make at least one post as a new member,members with no posts will be automatically deleted after 2 days.
robber57
Admin

Re: About to buy but some quibbles

Post by robber57 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:04 pm

I am sorry bstendel for hijacking your topic, but it may be also interesting for you?

Yes i certainly own a SH150i but a 2006 model which on mayor parts is the same as the "2010" usa/canada model, it has a two piston/220 mm front disc and a rear drumbrake.
The Italian model has a 240mm front disc and three piston caliper and a 240mm rear disc brake with single piston caliper.
Check to see what it looks like and check youtube to see italians by the thousand riding the 3 piston model: http://www.hondaitalia.com/modelli/scooter/sh150d9 at the bottom press "freni" (thats brakes)

AnterioreTipo:
Disco idraulico da 240 mm x 4 mm con pinza a tre pistoncini, rotore forato e pastiglie in metallo sinterizzato

Posteriore :
Disco idraulico da 240 mm x 4 mm con pinza a singolo pistoncino combinato e pastiglie in resina stampata

If you click "foto hires" you can see what it looks like.

In Holland its also the official model but if you order one you get the 2 piston model, i have read several times on dutch fora that people ordered a 2010 model and received a two piston model, at this moment one has send it back and is waiting for reply.
Can you tell me; does your model have a rear drum or disc brake?

The glove box: damn, you're right, you're model does not have one, probably because what used to be there has hardly any function.
Also keep in mind ; version may differ depending where you buy it, for items like indicator lights,headlights a glove box etc i have no real problem but brakes?

The Helmet bin, you're right, Honda does not call it a helmet bin but almost any other scooter on the market has one and you can store a helmet in it.
My point; if you cannot store a helmet in it why not make it a tiny bit smaller and give it a larger fuel tank?
Fuel tanks are 3 dimensional, just by adding a little bit of more space all around the volume grows quickly to 10 liters or more.
As you read: mine stalled (but there was still some fuel in the tank) and i could fill it to 7.02 liter, this means you can use about 6 liter and if you're fond of gambling you can stretch it to 6.5 liter.
In Km's; on average i can do 180 km's on it if i dont hamer it all the time, 2 days ago i did 198 km's on it and had to walk, i dont call this a generous mileage and if you use it every day like i do it means you have to fill it up 2-3 times a week which is annoying.
Yhe problem is in the fueltank itself: it's steel and not plastic.
This may seem a nice quality feature but nowadays every car has a plastic fuel tank and they seldom break.
The advantage of plastic; you can utilize every bit of space available to store fuel since you can make a plastic tank almost any shape or form you want.
The steel tank is obviously not so flexible, you cannot make it any shape or form so precious space is left not used.
And 15 L would be fantastic but i would also settle for 10.

The 60 degree tilt switch; i am starting to suspect it may be faulty; today i had another episode, next weekend i will take it out and do some measurements to figure out at what angel it goes of.

The shaking of the front end; its not uncommon to me , i have owned about 40 scooters and some had the same problem, when i did motor racing; my Yamaha TZ250 did it at slow tracks where i would lower the front end to get more responsive steering at low speeds.
Now thinking about it: i got the rear suspension at the hardest setting, i will try that tomorrow....
(making the rear suspension harder also means the bike will be at a higher level at the back so the front will be relatively low meaning the fork angle will be steeper and your'e more likely to develop this problem)
If you try to understand what is happening think about a supermarket cart; if you ever hit a supermarket cart against the curb it will bent slightly to the rear and you get this wheel which will go very rapidly from side to side,shaking, that's my problem in a nutshell.

And the great ride it gives? as long as i dont take my hands of the handle bars there's nothing wrong even letting go of the handlebars but resting one finger on one side the problem is not there and as i mentioned; it's not a new phenomena to me, i have had several bikes with this problem.
Its also not a rare thing, on several fora in germany/austria/belgium i found users who noticed this behaviour and the more i get to know about it i am starting to suspect it my have something to do with my weight (115 Kg/240 lbs)
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

pagemaker

Re: About to buy but some quibbles

Post by pagemaker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Good reply, Robber57. Thanks for taking my my comments seriously. Your further explanations are clear, instructive, and appreciated.

The Canadian model (mine) has a rear drum brake.

I did go to the Honda link you suggested and found that you are indeed right. When I googled Honda-motorcycle-Italy yesterday, I found a page that did give the identical specs for Canada (but written in Italian.) I tried to duplicate that search just a moment ago, but could not find the page. I cannot explain what happened, but to say, you are indeed correct and I was wrong. I apologize.
- Michael Pagemaker