Hello from Los Angeles

Take a moment to introduce yourself, it is required to make at least one post as a new member,members with no posts will be automatically deleted after 2 days.
F800

Hello from Los Angeles

Post by F800 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:01 am

Not new to scootering. I realized that 2 motorcycles and 1 scooter(Met50) was too much so I got rid of 1 motorcycle and 1 scooter and bought the SH150i.

I've had quite a few Elite 50cc when 2 strokes were still legal, Elite 150 with the foot brake, several Honda Elite 250 with the foot brake, one Honda Helix 250 of course with foot brake, several Honda Reflex 250(when the debate came out about hand brakes only). The Helix 250 was my favorite scooter that I kept for 8 years. The Reflex 250 was my most hated scooter as the rattle factor was so bad I went through about 3 Reflexes in 3 months. I've had 4 Metropolitans 50..(no rattle). The Honda Silver Wing 600cc maxi-scooter when it had tons of recalls and rattled so badly that I almost got rid of it the 1st month. I kept the Silver Wing for 16,000mi trouble free except for all the recalls, problem with fork seals and multiple trips to get rid of the cheap rattling sounds.

The reason why I bring up the rattle factor is that no Honda scooters rattled from the time of the Honda Helix and before. So I was very surprised with all the scooter rattle on the Reflex and Silver Wing scooter. Yes, I did have the old Silver Wing motorcycle V-Twin, shaft drive. The Silver Wing scooter having a much different feel and rattle factor was almost unbearable until lots of double sided stick tape was used. No rattle but you can hear the plastic flexing and I could live with this.

When it came time to buy a motorcycle or scooter I was really torn between the PCX125, SH150i and Honda Rebel. If I bought the Honda Rebel, this would be my 3rd and last new Honda Rebel as all bikes are going to fuel injection. So unless Honda makes a Rebel(FI), no more Rebel 250s.

I like the look of the PCX125 better than the SH150i and preferred the performance and the fact that the Rebel 250 is cheaper, has more performance, more range and proven no rattle factor than both the PCX and the SH.

I'm not sure exactly why I chose the SH150i in the end. One deciding factor was I did not want the SH to rattle so I had the service advisor ride the SH and if it rattled, I would choose another bike. The SH150i did not rattle so I bought it. Surprisingly the SH150i is as well made as the older Honda scooters like the Elite 150, 250 and Helix 250... no rattle thus far *KNOCK ON WOOD*.

I have seen the thread of the Honda Helix 250. Of all the scooters, the Honda Helix was the most comfortable. Even more comfortable than the Silver Wing scooter.. even though with performance the Silver Wing 600 can easily do an indicated 110mph, the best I got out of the Helix was an indicated 78mph.

L.A. traffic and parking has been so bad that scooters make a lot of sense if you don't mind swallowing some "humble pie". As for myself, I would have preferred a fuel injection version of the Honda Helix without all the intake/out take manifold problems and without all the rattle factor of the Honda Reflex.

The Honda SH150i is proof that Honda can make a scooter that does not rattle which also includes the Metropolitan 50.

As others mentions, I would like a side stand on the SH150.. I can deal with no side stand. The old Elite 150, 250, Helix 250, Reflex 250, Silver Wing 600, PCX125 have both side and center stand. On the Met50 having only the side stand is okay. So not sure why no side stand on the SH150i.

Otherwise, I look forward sharing scooter experiences with other scooterist. I've had even more motorcycles than scooters, but since this is a scooter forum -I'll stick to scooters in this post.
Last edited by F800 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

eggman

Re: Hello from Los Angeles

Post by eggman » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:17 am

Howdy,

Welcome, F800! I'm new as well. Bought my Sh150i here in Shreveport, La. just 9 days ago. So far I like it alot. Waiting for warmer/ drier weather, so I can commute to school (I'm a teacher). Based on early impressions and just 60 miles, the Sh150i is looking good. See you in the forum.

F800

Post by F800 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:20 am

Hello Eggman, I just finished doing the 600mi service. I wish there was at least a 2.1 gallon gas tank. Fill up is around every 100mi with .6 gal left. I'm averaging 86 mpg. The best mileage I have is about 95mpg.

tpi

Post by tpi » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:49 am

My SH150 is close to 2K miles with no rattles, at least any I can hear through the helmet. It feels tight and new in general.

robber57
Admin

Post by robber57 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:31 pm

I am curious: what do you mean with "rattle" ?
What is it that makes this sound?, is it the engine in general?, the variator? or are all bits and pieces on the bike rattling?
If done 7000 km's (4300 mile)now on this SH and it still feels like new besides the variator rolls which seem to get flat spots so occasionally it will hang at a lower rpm while accelerating.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the package.

ambientscape

Post by ambientscape » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:42 am

robber57 wrote:I am curious: what do you mean with "rattle" ?
What is it that makes this sound?, is it the engine in general?, the variator? or are all bits and pieces on the bike rattling?
If done 7000 km's (4300 mile)now on this SH and it still feels like new besides the variator rolls which seem to get flat spots so occasionally it will hang at a lower rpm while accelerating.
My bike do have some rattle noise from new and I didn't bother to find out where it was coming from. Recently, I somehow went to look for the noise.....and it was my exhaust heat shield that is making the noise. It is only noticeable when cruising at 10 to 15km/h. I'm not sure if that was the noise........