new to the group, looking for a new to me scoot!

Take a moment to introduce yourself, it is required to make at least one post as a new member,members with no posts will be automatically deleted after 2 days.
greywheels

new to the group, looking for a new to me scoot!

Post by greywheels » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:42 am

Hi All-

Thanks for having a user group with some valuable information!
My name is Eric and am in the market for a scoter and have been looking for many months now. More research than test rides. A buddy got me excited about his 80'S Riva 125, that has led to an obsessive look into the world of scooting. Most of my riding has taken place in travels to Asia, so it will certainly be different back in the Midwest, the heartland of the USA.

I am stuck in the lust for power of a 250, the modern ideals of the SH, and the quandary of vintage vs. new.
My research and riding has led me to the ch250, a light and lean battle machine. it is fun but aging oh so gracefully. kind of like me. Somehow, I found the CH150i. A great looking machine with new technology! I believe as well, looking forward it has the appeal and opportunity to gather the same cult following.

I can turn wrenches and plan on it, but by no means a mechanic. I want an easy bike to work on within my limits. With either choice modifications would be needed: suspension and everything else looked at on an older bike, new modifications for speed and general upkeep on a newer model. I will most likely become obsessive on this end as well, and someone in the future will get a well cared for gem of a bike.

As for riding, mostly city and country roads in the flat Midwest. Really no interstate travel.

Am I just down to personal feel and aesthetics? Does it really make sense to have a 30 y.o. commuter? Help!

Thanks for any and all help-

TommyXP
Staff

Re: new to the group, looking for a new to me scoot!

Post by TommyXP » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:07 am

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for sharing the various 'trade-offs' you are encountering upon your inner quest.....
IMHO you are a candidate for a 2 scooter stable and I encourage you to allow one of them to be an SH, so that you ALWAYS have something 100% reliable and at your immediate disposal.

Mollify your deep-seated classic desire with the CH whilst incorporating the SH into your Life as a 'taken-for-granted' other/another appendage.
Not being familiar with the CH, though glancing at an image of, the first thing that comes to mind is the beauty of the 16" wheels that make the SH such a joy to ride, along with fuel injection and water cooling.

Here in my Great Lakes Region all the riding is void of interstate travel as unnecessary and mostly done on country and city roads. I am constantly amazed at how quickly the SH achieves ANY speed limit.

I cannot honestly comment on the degree of difficulty in performing heavy mechanics upon the SH as others upon this Forum can; for I have made no 'major' modifications nor have had need to.
Having 2 identical SH150's with a total of ~27,000 miles between them, I have done nothing more mechanically than a mere child would and could do to his soap-box derby racer!
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.

greywheels

Re: new to the group, looking for a new to me scoot!

Post by greywheels » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks for your thoughts. It is difficult to decide, but I will be testing out the SH this weekend. I do admit, looking at a Scarabeao 250 piqued my interest in larger wheels, especially from a safety standpoint. This was one of my selling points for the SH. It has plenty of power for my riding situation, and surprisingly priced very competitively.
If I were to guess, it most likely handles better than the older 250.....oh god....have I talked myself away from my mistress to been lured by another?

I will just have to ride them both and let the heart decide.
If others have opinions of the Honda Elite 250 let me know.

Vintage is definitely a style first and a practicality later, but with this model it is it is known to be amazingly reliable.
I am certain the sh150i will prove the same, but 20 years younger.