Sh 300 owner from Belgium

Take a moment to introduce yourself, it is required to make at least one post as a new member,members with no posts will be automatically deleted after 2 days.
PapaLima

Sh 300 owner from Belgium

Post by PapaLima » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:50 am

Hi there,

I am 51 years young and live in the north of Belgium, very near the border with Holland.
Have been driving motorcycles for 25 years, started with a Honda CX 500, followed by some BMW's (K100, R850 GS, and R 1200 GSA). I never buy new, but always look for well-maintained used vehicles.

After a career switch (from production planning to teaching) 3 years ago, I got more time off and decided to buy a camper. My intention was to take the 1200 GSA with me on a trailer. The first trip made clear the GSA was way to heavy for safe loading and unloading.

So I decided to look for a scooter, with enough power to cruise with 2 adults on board.
It soon became clear that the Sh 300 has the best of both worlds: stabile at speed (16 inch wheels), enough power to handle hills and small mountains two-up and 100 kg (220 pounds) lighter than my GSA.
After a few test rides (2009, 2011, 2015, 2016 model) I knew I had made the right choice and purchased a white 2015 model with only 2300 km (1600 miles). The owner (80 years) had dropped it at low speed and was no longer confident to drive. The fairing had some minor scratches on the right side, which helped greatly to negociate the price :twisted:

The GSA was in excellent condition and got sold within a few days.
Haven't really missed the big bike since than ;)
I did keep the GIVI Trekker 52 liter topbox to replace the original Honda box.

The Sh will be used to be mobile during my camper holidays and for commuting to school, if the weather is well enough. For me that means mostly dry and temperatures between 10 and 25° Celsius (50 and 80 °F).

Greetings from Belgium.
Patrick
Last edited by PapaLima on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip."
Winston S. Churchill

TommyXP
Staff

Re: Sh 300 owner from Belgium

Post by TommyXP » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:46 am

Welcome to the Forum P.L.
Thanks for taking the time to share and demonstrate your experience.
With your permission (or you can do it yourself) I'd like to re-post this under "Scooter Chat" too, with "Trailer" somehow in the Title (for "Search" purposes).....Many here have dreamed and attempted different methods.
I fear that it might not get 'seen' by some, appearing only under "New Users".

IMHO the SH IS the perfect 2nd vehicle for 'scouting' and myself having a 44 or 46litre(?) Givi, know that bigger is better and maximize its use constantly.
Congratulations on becoming a "teacher", as 'good' teachers ALWAYS continually learn more than their pupils without limit and also get many more opportunities to practice 'tact' upon the wise-guys within the class.
Freedom is not something you are given. Its something you take.